Hyundai Galloper Brand New Engine Rebuilt - Now Needs New Turbo: What To Do?

I would greatly appreciate help on this subject. I just spent $4,500 on my 1996 Hyundai Galloper (I live in Costa Rica), which included new shocks, breaks, radiator, and a complete new engine and a few more things. I drove it for 3 weeks and then the turbo went out. The quote I received for new parts and labor is $1800. I bought the car for $7500. Do I put the $1800 into it for the new turbo because of the $4500 investment recently made or is it time to stop?

Thank you for your replies!

The mileage would be nice to know, as well as the overall condition of the vehicle. Shocks, brakes, and even a radiator would be considered normal expected mainintenance on a 16+ year old vehicle. Prices…well, I have no Costa Rican reference to know if those were high or not. I don’t know what labor and parts go for there.

If the rest of the car is in good shape, than the turbo might be worth it. After all, you’ve already replaced the engine.

By the way, a daily driver and money that you spend for maintenance and repairs are never investments. You always have to consider “what are my alternatives” and go from there. In your case, the money spent is gone. It’ll never be recovered. And with the exception of the engine, it was just maintanance. Now you need to consider your options.

I know nothing about your car or it’s condition but the time to stop would have been before the rebuilt engine, I would think now you are committed to replace the turbo.

Other than agreeing with the others, I will only add that if an engine is damaged by lack of oil or severe overheating it should always be assumed the turbocharger is often in the same condition as the damaged engine or following in trail.
The turbocharger was likely damaged goods and it just took 3 weeks for the problem to appear.

The only thing I fault the shop for is not considering this possibility and advising you of it before going ahead with a new engine installation. Knowing this in advance could have affected your decision on doing the repair or at least preparing you for a potential failure at some point.