Hyundai brake warning lights

Whenever I start my 2011 Sonata Turbo after it has been resting overnight, the brake warning light comes on and stays on. It’s not immediate—it usually takes five to ten seconds, and whether the emergency brake was on when I started has no effect. Once it goes on, it cannot be shut off without shutting off the car and restarting—at which time it acts normally. The braking system is fine. Any ideas?

It sounds like there may be a problem with the brake electrical system. It will be a warranty issue.

If you have checked the level of the brake fluid, and confirmed that it is within normal limits, then I agree with cougar that this is likely to be an electrical issue. And, this will be covered by warranty, so you shouldn’t hesitate to take the car back to the dealership.

But…have you checked the level of the brake fluid?

Here is another vote for checking your brake fluid level. A lot of drivers think that the brake light is just for the emergency brake. Not so. A low brake fluid level will also trigger the light.

And if the brake fluid level is low, have your brakes checked. Low brake fluid level in the reservoir means that the fluid has moved from the reservoir to the caliper cylinders due to pad wear.