How to open the butterfly valve without forcing it

2007 Nissan Versa AT 126K 1.8DOHC
I am cleaning the throttle body.
This car has electronic control on throttle.

Resetting the throttle in this car is kind of a PITA (I’ve done it before).
So I’m hoping to clean the inside of throttle body without forcing butterfly valve open, so hopefully I don’t have to reset throttle.

Have seen some videos of other models with electronic control, in which people turn ignition to on (but not start) then press the gas pedal, and this action opens the butterfly valve, so the area around valve can be easily cleaned.

Unfortunately in this car, the butterfly does NOT open like that.
Any tips to open it, or just to make cleaning process easier?
I have a huge digital manual from nissan for this car, but can’t find anything in it about cleaning the throttle body!

My own preference is to just have a new gasket handy and remove the throttle body altogether. I didn’t look it up for this car, but it’s usually a pretty easy R & R.

2 Likes

Hi all, I figured out a workaround for this Nissan. My son noticed that when I turned the key from “on” (not start) to “off”, the butterfly valve opens for a second then closes again. That gives enough time to scrub around in there with a toothbrush and some throttle cleaner spray. I just did it repeatedly till clean. This may be good information for anyone with this or similar Nissan throttle body.

Cigroller, you are right that R and R is not that hard for throttle body. It’s the reset procedure on the throttle control that is the PITA on this car, if you manually move the butterfly.

1 Like

Did the throttle valve cleaning solve the idle-wandering problem you were having?

1 Like

Thanks for asking, George. Don’t know yet. Hope to take it on longer test drive today or soon. Will update that string after I do that.

The reason I ask is b/c the worst part of the gunk on throttle valves is usually on the other side, and you’d probably have to remove the throttle body for that. So if you still have the idle wandering, that’s probably the next step. I presume you’ve already thoroughly examined the intake air boots & pleats as part of what you’ve already done. Any splits or cracks in those could also cause idle wandering.

1 Like

I see what you are saying, George. I tried to get as much cleaner spray to the back as possible. Due to tilt of valve, spraying it at top likely resulted in quite a bit dripping down back surface. Also tried spraying the back when in was momentarily open (see above), which may have helped. In any case, happy to say that the rpm irregularities seem to have disappeared during a long test drive today.

2 Likes