How to kill Coronavirus on your car's interior surfaces

It doesn’t really matter how well a mask/respirator fits or how well it can filter the virus if the eyes are left exposed. The eyes are another pathway for viral entrance.

1 Like

Biggest reason to me not to use masks - the nurses and doctors need them MUCH more than I do.

3 Likes

Here is some info about pumping gas safely in the era of Covid-19:

1 Like

Good info. Since New Jersey is a full service state the risk should be a lot less. Also NJ is a full service state or any other full servise state do they even have card reader’s at the pump’s?

Yes, believe it or not, we do have card readers at the pumps.
:smirk:
And, now, when the attendant hands the card back to me, I sanitize it before stashing it in my wallet.

1 Like

Up till now I never thought about the card reader’s at the pump that is interesting was NJ alway’s a full service state or did they go through a time of self service?

IIRC, the association of gas station owners exerted influence on state legislators sometime in the '50s to eliminate self-service, and that action resulted in the statute.

1 Like

Thank you I try to learn something new every day.

It turns out that it dates back to 1949. I found this on the website of one of the local radio stations:

• The actual law that makes it illegal to pump your own gas in NJ is called the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act and Regulations and it became law in 1949. The act says “Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed.”
  • Although the act claims that safety is the primary reason for its existence, many people believe that money was the actual reason. In the 1940’s, a gas station owner decided to charge people less if they pumped their own gas. The owner’s competitors were worried that this practice would take away business, so they pushed lawmakers to pass a law to make “self service” illegal. Ironically, gas prices in New Jersey are usually less expensive than the prices in neighboring states.

Read More: Why Can’t You Pump Your Own Gas in NJ? | https://wpst.com/why-cant-you-pump-your-own-gas-in-nj/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

That is interesting thank you.

Of course it was money. Other states are NOT having safety issues with people pumping their own gas.

1 Like

Hope this helps somebody

CDC cleaning tips:

Please stay away from other people as much as possible until this thing is under control.
Also, try to wipe down any new items that enter your home if possible, with disinfectant (I realize this is not always possible, but with things like mail, you do not know who has touched it). I send best wishes to all. Follow government guidelines closely during this crisis.

1 Like

Good piece of advise, as new items are likely to be the vector how virus gets in.
Wiping is not bullet-proof, I’m lazy.
For now, I make sure to get the things in the store from mid-pack, where it is less chances for transmission.
I’ve bought this thing to specifically address the issue:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/30/business/coronavirus-police-cars-heat.html

The software checks whether there is enough gasoline to keep the engine running for the 80-minute process, and prompts officers to ensure that no one is in the vehicle and no sensitive electronics remain inside.

With the doors and windows closed, the software heats the interior to 133 degrees. After 15 minutes at that temperature, the vehicle’s air-conditioning comes on to cool off the interior.

I guess if they can take their cruisers out of service for 80 minutes after transporting someone, it would work.
Transport 4 people a day, 4x80= 320 minutes/5.3 hours of being out of service every shift.

I would urge caution using alcohol, I have carried a bottle with a pump in my car for a decade to clean after I shop. I spilled a little of my 91% on the center console (behind shift) of my 2012 Honda Accord and it dissolved the paint. Irks me everytime I look at it! I never even realized that the plastic was painted.

Bing writes: " Bing

Mar 22

“The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). " That’s a quote. Oh yeah, and I’m not the one that flagged the post. I don’t flag. I think it’s CS.”

CDC made clear at the time and since that the reason was not that N95 masks didn’t work, it was that there was limited supply, and health care workers needed the masks more than the public did.

1 Like

I have a stash of n95 masks, I have started wearing them as a regular mask does little to protect you. There is a uvc flashlight from what I hear can kill covid. Eye protection needed. We had to replace the humidifier in our furnace last Sept, an option they had was a uvc light n the airway to kill germs and bacteria etc. So in conclusion a uvc flashlight may be an easier way, not sure what the effects on vinyl etc. would be. If you try it let us know. Meanwhile washing hands and not touching your face until ou sanitize or wash would be my interpretation of the easy way out. Note n95 is 95% effective, kn95 75%

Pretty sure that’s wrong. Fabric masks greatly reduce the distance traveled by your breath and reduce the stuff you inhale.

3 Likes

25 to 50% are the numbers I have seen for non n95 masks. N95 is 95%. CDC “in some cases filtering nearly 50%” The goal of the mask is to prevent covid carriers from spewing the virus.