Jiffy Lube fights COVID19

The Jiffy Lube around the corner from me is allowing customers to remain in their vehicles during oil changes to avoid COVID19 that might be lurking in the waiting area. Anything similar happening where you are?

1 Like

Heard an ad for a restaurant today, buffet etc. $10, we will bring it out to your car.

Most of the veterinary clinics in my area have sent out notices that pet owners should stay in their cars, phone the clinic, and an employee will come to the car to retrieve the pet for treatment.

Well NY State has just closed all non essential businesses. Don’t know if restaurants , Jiffy Lube and vets are essential. All our restaurants were already closed except for takeout.

The supermarkets, here, in Florida near my son and the ones in Wisconsin are almost out of meat. I think it is because the people that jam the restaurants every night now have to cook.

WE only have a 12 cubic foot freezer but it is mostly full of meat.

No problem for anything except eggs and tp, last week, this week got some tp, not made from trees is all that was left, oh well. My thought is meat will be plentiful with all the restaurants closed and not buying. Are auto sales and shops and parts stores closed?

I don’t know, I would assume so, but I am not leaving the house except to go for walks and those people who are out are giving each other a lot of space.

We only had problems with paper products, and Mrs JT got a big package of TP that we shared with her mother. We’ll get more when we need it. We also have a couple-a-three weeks of food. We also plan to do our usual Friday night Mexican carry out. I’ll find out in a couple of hours if our favorite place is open.

About one year ago, NJ’s Marcal Paper company suffered a devastating fire. They just got the factory up and running again a couple of weeks ago, and according to a news report, they are now turning out 174 tons of TP daily. I am a bit skeptical of that production claim, but at least there is one more source for paper products than there was 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

In Connecticut, I heard the highly (self) esteemed Governor Ned Lamont declare that auto repair shops, hardware stores, etc. are considered to be essential services, as health care providers need to have their cars serviced, first responders may need parts/tools to repair things in their houses, etc.
Sunday, I’ll be traveling to Paramus New Jersey, where everything’s closed, virus or not.

Actually, I never liked Marcal (or at least my rear-end never did).
But now, with the shelves empty, if Marcal was the only TP left, I would take it. Sure beats going in the backyard and grabbing a few leaves.

Yup!
It wouldn’t normally be my first choice (or second, or third…), but as old sailors used to say, “Any port in a storm”.

Illinois is pretty much shut down. Here in St. Louis and vicinity restaurants are carry out only as of Midnight last night. Bars that don’t serve food are out of luck. We went to a local Mexican place last night. They closed at 8pm, then carry out. Our last time eating out for a while. Tonight was carry out pizza.

My wife had a week’s vacation scheduled this week, she’ll be working from home starting Monday. Our regular mechanic is still operating, apparently the authorities don’t consider him non essential yet.

We have a supply of Angel Soft and my wife picked up some “Strong and Soft” from a dollar store.

All the auto parts stores are open in my area

cars are going to break down, virus or no virus

There’s a bit much hysteria over this issue IMO.

2 Likes

I kind of think you are right, I can see it from both sides, but closing down so many businesses and putting people out of work and tanking the economy seems like a stop gap measure to delay the inevitable, but since we are there I hope it works. Not as easy as pulling Pintos off the market!

1 Like

I"m inclined to agree. As an example, there are fewer than 500 cases in Illinois out of a population of nearly 13 million and those are largely concentrated in Chicago but the whole state is in lockdown. It’s serious but the response seems excessive.

2 Likes

Here in OK there has been (between Sept. 2019 and March 7, 2020) over 3000 hospitalizations and 65 deaths related to the common flu. That’s in one comparatively low population state.

It seems to me that COVID19 has a long way to go before it catches up with the common flu. I’m not saying that precautions should not be taken but TV kind of goads this on a lot. I don’t live in fear of anything so I don’t feel the same type of fear, or hysteria in some cases, that others may feel.

We get very little snow here in OK but when the forecaster says 2 to 3 inches of snow on the way many people head to the store to stockpile stuff along with endless TV reports from the highway guys about going on red alert with the sand trucks.

Tuesday Governor Sisolak of Nevada called for all nonessential businesses to shut down for 30 days. Wednesday the sales department were I work closed to honor the order. The service department remains open however it seems that with the city shut down many believe that we are closed or are focused on stock piling food, the customer traffic is less than half from normal.

With the reduction of business some of my co-workers fear that they won’t be able to pay their rent. I am taking next week off, I will be paid more in vacation pay than I would earn in the shop. When I return to work the new schedule for the technicians is 3 days a week, Monday through Wednesday or Thursday though Saturday.

It is not going to be easy for many people. I fear it is the tip of the iceberg for now. IMHOP food, gas, essentials will remain available, people on withdrawals from retirement funds to support their life are taking a hit in their future, gas prices are down, but where are you going to go? Must be Friday, or no where to go!

Maybe, maybe not. By the time we know, it will be too late to do anything about it. The issue is that hospitals are not prepared for it, even now. It will take a month or more to get the equipment and supplies to handle a more widespread infection level. This coronavirus seems to have a significantly higher mortality rate than the common flu. By separating us now, we won’t have as high an infection rate, and will far fewer deaths. Maybe we will have enough ventilators. Do you want someone you don’t know deciding whether you get a ventilator or not if you need one? I don’t.