How to confuse a Millenial

Yes! Register just rang up price. Kids today would be at a total loss…

1 Like

that’s how they do it at one of the coffee shops I frequent . . . NOT Starbucks, Peet’s Coffee or any of the other chains, by the way

I prefer the small family-owned coffee shops

1 Like

I’ve got a laser printer that can make copies at my southern home, but the old HP laser up north won’t make copies. So, I when I went to town there I went to the public library where they have a nice copy machine. Patrons just walk up, use the machine (if they don’t need assistance), and then on the honor system pay 15 cents per copy at the front desk.

I like to have money ready when I pay (and I always use cash for any purchases less than 20 or 30 bucks, not plastic), so I did mental math and quickly determined my 14 copies would cost $2.10 (not rocket science!) and had it in my hand.

With exact change in hand, I was quite surprised when the millennial librarian responded, “That’ll be $2.10” when I answered “14” to how many copies I had made. It’s rare to find young folks doing quick mental math, so I complimented her on her mental math abilities. She lifted a sheet of paper for me to see and smiling proudly said, “Oh, no, I can’t do that, I use my cheat sheet!”
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Why do that . We use our Discover card for every purchase that we can . The cash back in a years time can be quite a nice amount of money . Pay the Discover charges through our bank and get a benefit of over a 100.00 each year and no checking fees .

On behalf of millennials, I offer the following counter-argument.

boomers

4 Likes

When I frequently review my statements I don’t want to wade through a bunch of petty charges! However, I do use plastic to pay at the pump. There is never anything inside a gas station I’m interested in seeing.
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Me too. This is my all time favorite.

2 Likes

I enjoy a good cup of coffee and don’t feel at all cheated paying $1 at any fast food joint or with a meal at Cracker Barrel, etc but $7 to $10 for a cup of magic brew with foam on top is not on my list of things to enjoy. Of course the experience of the location and excellent service comes at a price but I would prefer a cover charge and coffee $1 a cup. Conspicuous consumption just never appealed to me.

$3.50 at the place I showed, but the view is worth every penny and the cappuccino is :star::star::star::star::star: Unfortunately it 13.5 miles from the middle of nowhere. Scenic Route 12 in Utah, 13.5 miles north east of Escalante. I get to visit about once a year.

I backspaced through a response, Cappuchino, at my pick at a local coffee shop was so tasty for bud meet, 3 bucks well spent! No drive through just to keep it car related/

Millennials would take uber or Lyft long before they would set foot in a car with a clutch

1 Like

I can confirm 100% that this is untrue

2 Likes

Boomer, no problem with a clutch but do Uber a lot. Don’t want to mess with valet parking, and how much are you supposed to tip a valet anyway? I usually figure a fiver, but have no idea.

Your millennial moderator kindly requests that you get back to talking about cars.

Also, my dad wouldn’t teach me to drive the manual because “girls don’t need to know how to do that.” Everybody has anecdotal evidence to confirm what they think.

4 Likes

In my area (southern NJ) $5 is typical

1 Like

That is sad, I had a manual 2003 2wd ford ranger I needed a trailblazer for boat towing, offered to save it for her until 2005 when she would get her license. She did not want it. Greatest sound system, 4 bose speakers and an Alpine radio, that was the best sound I ever had. Sold it. She 2 years later when she got her licence. got Grandmas 2002 saturn and regretted not saying yes to holding the ranger the ranger. Water under the bridge.

The ironic thing is that it was lazy Boomers who demanded automatics in the first place, which is how they became the norm and made manual transmissions a rarity, and this happens to be the sole reason the Millennial children of Baby Boomers might not have learned how to drive a stick shift.

If Boomers don’t like how the Millennials are doing things, maybe they should have raised them differently.

giphy

2 Likes

There we go again . . . making generalizations

I expect not every Boomer raised their Millennial children the same way :thinking:

And I can’t believe that all Boomers were lazy and demanded automatic transmissions

Please excuse me if I misunderstood . . . but to me, it sure seemed like you were making generalizations

If you would have said “statistically speaking” . . . then I probably wouldn’t have bothered to even make a comment, but you didn’t

When did I say all boomers raised their millennials the same way?

Nonetheless, the point of describing a generation is to generalize.

If you’d like to posit an alternative theory of how we ended up with the American car market being dominated by automatic transmissions, I’d like to hear it. Based on the timeline of how it happened, I believe it was those in the Baby Boomer generation who came of age at a time when they would have dominated the car-buying market when the market shifted from “standard” manual transmissions to automatic transmissions becoming standard on most models, and eventually becoming the only transmission available on most models in the American car market.

The movement to automatic transmissions really took hold in the late 1940s. When the Hydramtic automatic transmission became available on the Pontiac in 1948, 85% of the 8 cylinder Pontiacs and 50% of the 6 cylinder Pontiacs sold that year were equipped with the Hydramatic.
A manual transmission on Oldsmobiles after WW II was rare. In mid 1949, Lincoln bought the Hydramtic from GM because Lincoln did not want to.lose sales to Cadillac.
One thing that didn’t help the sales of cars equipped with manual transmissions was the linkage for the column shift didn’t work well on many cars toward the end of the 1950s and beyond. I had a 1947 Pontiac, a 1948 Dodge and a 1954 Buick with the three speed column shift and these cars shifted very smoothly. I owned a 1955 Pontiac and a 1965 Rambler Classic 550 with the manual column shift three speed transmission and both cars had linkages that made shifting difficult.
Also, in that time period of the three speed transmission, low gear wasn’t synchronized. If you needed to downshift to first gear, you had to double clutch.
I remember when the automatic transmissions were first offered on half ton pickup trucks. GMC offered the Hydramtic in 1953 and the Ford half ton pickup had the Ford-o-Matic as an option that same year. Chevrolet began offering the Hydramtic on its half ton in 1954. Dodge offered its fluid coupling on its pickup trucks in the late 1940s and even the “lift and clunk” semi-automatic was available on some Dodge trucks around 1950.
I grew up with manual transmissions. The first automatic I owned was a 1961 Corvair we purchased as a second car in 1967. I am 78 years old. I can still drive a manual transmission and I bet I can still downshift a three speed manual into first gear where first isn’t synchronized by double clutching. However, I don’t want to go back to those days.

2 Likes