How to confuse a Millenial

The same ole things are required as in the past. My nephew from South Dakota took a sales type job in Denver and was fairly productive at it. His boss asked him if there are any other guys he knows from South Dakota that would come to work too. Why? He said because they WORK. I’ve run across quite a few that just shake their heads at the quality of the work force. Gotta come to work every day on time and try to be helpful. Then like I said before we were waited on at a restaurant and my wife told me to leave a bigger tip for the waitress. Later she told me she had her in class, had no home or family but was working her way through her under graduate degree all on her own. Yeah she started out 2 steps behind but made up for it. Like said life is hard, wear a helmet.

??? Are you talking about money and financial opportunities for them?

The economy couldn’t be much better for millennials now than it’s been for that age group, in past decades, could it be?

My son, a millennial, and his wife of recent marriage, are both thriving… no steps back! They own a home, have very good jobs, no debt, and probably have more disposable income than I have.

My son must have been paying attention to me at some point. He does his own brakes on their vehicles, oil changes, maintenance/repairs, recently diagnosed a door lock actuator on his wife’s SUV (Ford Edge, I believe), installed it and all was good. They don’t buy the latest, greatest vehicles, choosing saving money instead.

Perhaps millennials who are struggling are living beyond their means, aren’t working hard enough, expecting too much handed to them, or living in the wrong location.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Or won’t show up for work on time… or at all!

A new phenomenon in the workplace. Ghosting.

Imagine hiring an employee, defining a start date and they never show up for work. Won’t answer their phone or email and never come back. I cannot imagine doing such a thing but it is not uncommon in today’s workplace.

Heh heh, that reminded me in the old days. A guy at work was hired for a pretty high up job. He showed up on the appointed day and his boss was gone for the week. He didn’t know where his office was, what he was supposed to do, etc. I tried to show him around a little and said just relax and get a little reading done. Strange stuff that I’ve blocked out of my memory.

But of course there are those who mysteriously trim hours, refuse employees the opportunity go to the rest room, hire totally unqualified friends and relatives to supervisory positions and allow them to insult, cheat and denigrate those who are working.

I owned my own business for many years but that never blinded me to the situation on either side of the boss/worker situation. There’s plenty of inequity on each side.

2 Likes

Of course there are. Everybody’s had crappy jobs. I’m thankful for all the ones I’ve had. I’ve had jobs that are much less than desirable. Those jobs were good for one thing, though, they inspired me to several thing… go back to school (evening classes, at time), get higher degrees, find better employers.

Each time an individual changes places of employment it should be for improved working conditions, hours, and compensation.

Not doing something to change conditions or wages is on the employee, not the employer. To complain about lousy employers or march around with signs demanding higher wages is ludicrous. Making oneself more valuable is the way to go.
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses::palm_tree:

3 Likes

Your last paragraph reminds me of the simple instructions in factory shop manuals @common_sense_answer. When you’re ready to install the new block in a car all that is necessary is to “reverse the procedures for removal.”

The next time a Millennial gives you a hard time, ask him what generation gave him that smartphone and cool gaming computer.

Every generation notices some flaws in their parent’s generation. That gives them something to work for. Our parents gave use both good and bad things, too. And every generation has folks that are smart, motivated, hard working people and those that… aren’t. Like CSA, I’m pleased with the way my children turned out. They aren’t looking for a handout and are grateful for how their mother and I provided a good start in life. We are fortunate that we could give them a good start. And cars to drive as teens and into their early 20s.

4 Likes

And many kids just can’t get their acts together even when they have the advantages you and CSA could give yours. Then there are quite a few who couldn’t get their hands on a pair of boots to pick themselves up by and it’s really unfair to pick one of the few who found a great deal of success despite all the hardships and tell those that failed that they are lazy failures.

1 Like

And another way, have one be a cashier at a register that doesn’t do the math for them and give them a $20.00 bill, a quarter, a dime, a nickel and 2 pennies for a bill for $13.42 and see how long it takes for them to figure it out (something similar has happened to me on more than one occasion).

2 Likes

Yes I have run into that so often. even play the game at automated checkout. $20.50 at automated, for whatever reason I have to do a 10 a one then another 10 to get it to accept. Checkout, give them 30.50 so I will get a 10 back, and get the what planet are you from look! Turned in my loose change last week, $126! At a bank, no charge, beats tose ripoff machines in the grocery store, I think the one near me deducts 10%

Heh heh, I haven’t done that but I have given a $20 and a one for an $11 or so bill and gave me a 5 and 5 ones back instead of a 10 confused. Like I wanted more ones?

1 Like

Show a millennial this and ask them what time it is…

2 Likes

Miller Time.

4 Likes

Long ago change was not counted by subtracting it was done by counting from the purchase price up to the amount tendered with the customer’s money remaining on the counter while the change was counted back next to it. And this red neck at age 10 could get it right 100% of the time. I too am flabbergasted at just how incompetent adults working behind a sales counter can remain so totally clueless dealing with such small sums of money.

4 Likes

A lot of stores do it that way, it’s to prevent the customer from saying I gave you a 20 when they actually gave them a 10.

Either a bill for something you’d leave a tip or perhaps the person making change used to work in a service industry involving tipping. A smart person always makes sure customer has change so they can comfortably leave a tip…

3 Likes

I don’t leave tips at a drive through though.

1 Like

Yep that’s the way I’ve done it and told others to do it. Easy peasy no matter what the amount. $1.22 they give you a 5, so its 3 pennies to 1,25, then 3 quarters to $2, then 3 ones make it $5. Quick and easy. What stumps the kids sometimes though is the cash register will say to give them $3.78 change and they have a little trouble with that.

1 Like

That’s why there’s reason #2 in my post