How to confuse a Millenial

10 Likes

I’ve never been told I’ve put my socks on the wrong way

2 Likes

Is this your retort when the Millenial says “OK, Boomer”?

5 Likes

It’s sort of an ironic twist that many of today’s boomers were 1960’s street protestors yelling “Get Out of Our Way” at the “Establishment”, & " 1,2,3 what are we fightin for?
don’t ask me i don’t give a dam, the next stop is Vietnam" all while dodging another police clubbing.

My Generation by “The Who”

People try to put us d-down
Just because we get around
Things they do look awful c-c-cold
I hope I die before I get old
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby

Why don’t you all f-fade away
And don’t try to dig what we all s-s-say
I’m not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation
I’m just talkin’ 'bout my g-g-g-generation

1 Like

If he uses his left foot for the gas and his right foot for the clutch, I’m afraid to ask what he uses for the brake!

6 Likes

I hafta say that I never was in a protest march. There was just
one that I remember on campus where one of the pastors led a group downtown but that was it. I had work to do and it would have been a long walk. I never really thought I missed anything. Now that I think about it though, I can’t remember ever getting a hair cut. I know I must have but can’t for the life of me figure out where I would have gone. My dad did make me get one once but I agreed I needed one. Yeah probably us is the reason things are screwed up now. Bunch of whiners that knew everything there was to know.

Just got done detailing my car. Me and Bob (Dylan that is) so I’m a little nostalgic. Clay, compound, polish, glaze, and finally wax. Looks nice but gonna rain tomorrow. Makes a man outta ya.

1 Like

Just give them an old school fold up paper road map instead of a voice program a GPS.

5 Likes

Yeah as Dicken’s said 100 years ago, “It was the best of times and the worst of times” combining optimism and pessimism with wisdom and stupidity, sometimes within the same 15 minutes:slightly_smiling_face:
Maybe the “impossible goals” weren’t reached but progress was made even on the small things, like cars that no longer roll over, catch fire in a minor collision or brakes that completely fail w/o warning.
And one of the larger changes was brought home to me when my daughter was looking at colleges and rejected an Ivy for some silly reason. In response I mentioned that, "In my day it wouldn’t have even been a question because back then women were excluded from most of the all male Ivys and at the rest of the schools a woman allowed in Engineering was practically unheard of ". (She looked at me like I’d just grown another head).

I don’t think the Boomers are “the reason things are screwed up now”, it’s simply a new set of expectations and problems and thankfully there’s a new group with higher expectations and the motivation to demand better.
Yeah, I miss my old Chevy but that new Hyundai is quite a car.

From 1966 to 1976 the financial rules for Americans were drastically changed and we all know who makes the rules and who pays the taxes don’t we.

4 Likes

Actually it was JFK that started changing the financial rules. As people started to accept them, they pushed even further. JFK changed margin buying from 10% to 50%. It had been 10% since shortly after the Depression. Prior to that, margin buying was whatever the market would bare, often up to 90%. He also was the first to lower the tax rate for the highest earners.

3 Likes

The 90% marginal tax rate did seem a little excessive. Would even Huey P Long have proposed that heavy a load on anyone? Of course Huey wanted to limit one persons wealth to $5million by taking all above that.

Smart girl. One thing that changed financially was the advent of the general use credit cards. As the song says, I think this was the downfall of many good men. I know mortgage rates were pretty high in comparison to today but I just can’t recall if the low down payment was prevalent then. In 75 the down payment they wanted was 50%. Hard to get in trouble with that. Still the 125% cash out deals didn’t come till later.

Regarding credit cards, they’re great if you have the maturity to live withing your means but personally I think there’s a special place in hell reserved for “loose” card issuers with outrageous late fees and interest to take advantage of poor quality borrowers and college students. I believe the scripture quote is, “Thou shall not set a stumbling block before the blind” which includes both those groups.

Mortgage interest rates during the post Vietnam Stagflation reached well into the teens, the standard down payment was 20%, the mortgage could not be more than 25%-33% of your income and the application included a stern lecture from the aged, motherly lender at the S&L about responsibility.
(That’s the kinda thing you don’t get today on the Net and I never missed a payment)

On the “Smart girl”, I appreciate the compliment but it was more a matter of “good old work and drive” than any ability. That includes passing your driving test in a stick shift, doing your own oil changes, changing tires, gaping plugs, Sweetheart of Sigma Chi and graduating Engineering in 4 years when 1/2 your cohort at an Elite college switched to “easier” majors.

Provide the opportunity and you’ll be amazed at the results.

1 Like

When we got our first mortgage in 1976, the S&L guy advised me to go with a 25 year instead of a 30 year. He explained how much interest would be saved and hardly had any impact on the payments. Sure we knew him and went to our church but I think he advised everyone the same. Then at the bank, the last thing the VP asked when getting a car loan was “can you afford it?”.

When I taught my daughter how to drive in 2000, I didn’t bother to teach her how to drive a stick since I felt she’d never have to do so. My assumption proved correct as now (20 years later), she’s never even ridden in a car with a stick. I believe that today, knowing how to drive a stick is as relevant as knowing the correct technique for starting a car with a hand crank.

2 Likes

Unless you have to rent a car in Europe. We borrowed the only stick in the Buick dealer’s lot and went out to an empty lot for the wife to learn how to drive.

Quite a few millenials will find themselves confused when they recognize that no matter how hard they struggle to get ahead for every 2 steps forward they take the ground will shift three steps to the rear. The gap between mean and mode will continue to widen leaving them slipping back on the steep incline.

Why?

My niece and her husband, both millennials, each received masters degrees, own 2 cars, a home and combined, and I’d guess make mid 6 figures combined working in the southeast. Both with business degrees. One with student loans from a middle class family, the other from a fairly wealthy family with no student loans.

Well that’s 2 but that ‘quite a few’ others is substantial.

But why? What is missing?