How do I end site membership enrollment

Just stop typing.

1 Like

With the double your money back guarantee on all advice here how can anyone consider foregoing a membership?

I have to reset my password every time I try to log in, it begins to get a pain in the butt. If you can just delete my account . Thanks.

Mr. Bing is not a moderator so he can’t help you. All you have to do is not show up rather than delete an account. As for the login problem you might start at CarTalk site itself, login there, next click on community at the top of page, you then click on the login box at the top right and you should be fine.

You should also ask for your membership fee to be refunded

:thinking:

1 Like

@twotone; Love Hotel CA and this is why I love the cartalk forum;

To the OP, I use the site at lib. Usually frequently here. Recently my personal life is going through some issues so I have less time. So I just check in periodically. Nobody has asked me why

WHY? :grin:

1 Like

There’s a known software problem here where the sign in screen will say “too many login attempts”, even though you’ve only tried to sign in one time. If that’s the problem you are having, everybody here is experiencing the same thing from time to time. The Car Talk IT gurus are aware of the problem. Usually you can sign in successfully later, anywhere from a couple minutes to an hour.

“Goodnight said the night man, we are
programmed to receive.
You can check in any time you like,
But you can never leave.” - Hotel California

1 Like

May I ask why you have to reset your password each time? Is there an error you’re getting? If I can help I would like to.

Wow has this been going on for four years? The plant manager at a place I worked at had three rules. I won’t get into the other two but the third one is if you ever leave, you can never come back again.

1 Like

That reminds me of one of my previous civil service mechanic jobs.

It was also fleet vehicles. Every single one was gigantic, you couldn’t really call it automotive. Most of them air brake, they were all rusty, lots of welding, frame straightening, and lots of other back-breaking work. And the vehicles were low-tech, and quite dated. But the benefits and job security were to die for

Anyways, invariably some guys would leave, because they felt the work was boring and unglamorous. We always told them “You’ll be sorry, and you’ll be back, but you won’t get your job back.” Most of them, we never heard from again. But some of them found out that the grass isn’t greener on the other side, and tried to come back, to no avail.

re: you can never return

I’m currently reading a book about the Seinfeld show history, and am reminded of the plot when the George character quit his job at a real estate firm in a flash of frenzied and vociferous complaints to his manager, then came back the next work day, sat down at the morning meeting, pretending it never happened 
 lol 
 the book says that story is based on a real life incident when Larry David quite his job at Saturday Night Live in a rage, then changed his mind, and came back to work the next day pretending he never quit. So maybe you can come back, by just pretending you never left.

1 Like

I remember an engineer at work (equipment designer) who was laid off. But he continued to come to the office and do work, and eventually the company rehired him. Took a few weeks to a month as my (vague) memory tells me.

@BillRussell 's post reminds me of another story. I had a friend who was informed he was about to be laid off, so he went on vacation before the company could do it. He had a month vacation accumulated and was thinking the company financial situation might change during that month he was out of communications, and he wouldn’t get laid off when he came back. 
 didn’t work, but it was pretty clever I thought. Lots of funny stories in Silicon Valley like that. One engineer was told he was fired but was encouraged to come in as long as he wanted and continue his work assignments, but he wouldn’t be paid. After a couple weeks I guess he decided this wasn’t that good of a deal for him .

well, it appears my old advice . . ‘‘just stop typing’’ . .doesn’t work as assumed.
I ‘‘stopped typing’’, against my will, when my work place Ford dealer got new servers and firewalls that refuse to allow this website to open citing certificate errors and security errors. It will load a home page but when I click on community . .blocked !
after all this time, nothing at work has changed . . . I can not get on the Car Talk community page.

• today I’m at home checking in and it allowed me to log in as though I’d never taken time off.

My computer complains via pop-ups quite often about security issues while browsing this website. It happens so often I just ignore them, so can’t tell you what they said. But there’s something here it doesn’t like, probably related to advertising content. I should say the same messages appear when browsing the NY Times website, so you might try there as a test. I’m guessing whatever that popup message is about , it’s the same thing causing your problem. Your workplace IT staff has probably configured your system not to allow access to a site when those security messages pop up.

This thread reminded me of this commercial

Try Onion TOR browser.

I was expelled from high school in 11th grade. Would check in with the principle’s office every morning to be sure I am still expelled. After 3 weeks he gave up and I had another chance.