Hose removal/installation tips

I am looking to learn something new about removing/installing hoses. This example is really why:

one day I had to remove a hose from a metal pipe. turned out the pipe was inserted into the rubber hose almost 6 inches. I managed to get it worked off without cutting it.* Perhaps you know how hard it is to work a tight rubber hose off of a pipe when it is worked on that much.

any tips for removing - and especially for pushing the hose back on? I found these at Harbor Freight, for removal:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hose-remover-pliers-66638.html

I also am aware that isopropyl alcohol is supposed to make the pieces slippery, and there is Permatex 85409 to help :

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-ultra-rubber-gasket-sealant-dressing-detail

my understanding was that isopropyl alcohol or the 85409 was for fuel hoses <- added after original posting

*This was a discovery mission, so I did not cut it because I did not want to get into more trouble. but if I had known how it was fit, I would have probably cut it off.

I’m going to guess that your six inch overlap didn’t come that way from the factory. At least not a car factory.
That much overlap is wasteful of materials, and adds to assembly time. An engineer would get fired for such a design.

@JuniorMint

This is what you want to use to loosen the hose. You spray wd40 between the joint of the hose and the pipe. Then you carefully work those picks in and around, until you’ve got it loose

That permatex stuff you showed us is absolutely not used for putting hoses back. That will do the exact opposite of making a hose slippery

This product eases assembly and helps seal the connection of coolant hoses

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Indian-Head-Gasket-Shellac-Seals-All-Common-Gasketing-Materials-In-Low-Temp-Low-Pressure-Applications-Permatex/_/R-BK_7651229_0424508297

As a rule I replace hoses that must be pealed away from the nipple due to internal abrasion resulting from friction at the edge of the nipple on the hose i.d. When reinstalled, hoses often fail within a few months just behind the clamp where friction broke the internal integrity of the hose.

deleted

When installing rubber hoses over a metal nipple, I use silicone sealant, usually Permatex Ultra Black. It makes removal years later very easy and it prevents the metal from corroding on the metal to rubber interface.

I use nothing on a rubber to plastic nipple as on the new radiators with the plastic caps. In this case, the silicone actually prevents a good seal.

The rubber gasket dressing you show is for gaskets, not hoses.

If you are going to seal a rubber hose over a metal nipple for a hose that carries oil (transmission fluid), use Permatex “The Right Stuff”. Silicone sealants will loose their adhesiveness in oil, the “Right Stuff” is a rubber compound and not silicone and will not be affected by oil.

@db5690 @keith sorry, I should have specified that was in the case of a fuel hose. but also I am not certain anyways of that 85409 purpose - I’ll have to look at the card again. yes I understand silicone sealant would be good for that. that pick+wd40 idea sounds good, but I’d have to try it.

when I tried getting the hose off of the aluminum pipe, I used a whole bunch of things, and one thing I learned is that the hose was on so tight it precluded pushing anything like a pick down there. I had to use a hose clamp to stop it from working back up, a few pliers, and gloves to keep my hands from getting shredded. my hand was so sore afterwards. but anyways, it appears in this case it should be cut off anyways. I suppose I’d have to try the wd40+pick idea to see how it would work in this case…

@Rod_Knox I have seen that stuff - maybe I’ll check it out.

@Tony_Carlos - excellent point

A cheaper version of the Snap-On pick set listed above. It’s not as good, but it’s also $163 less. :wink:

Here is a tool that I like to use to remove small diameter hoses: https://www.mactools.com/Portals/1/aspdnsf/images/PRODUCT/large/P114SG.jpg

This just an example although I happen to have this particular Mac tool. Many tool brands market the same type of pliers.

Sometimes if you heat up the hose with a heat gun or hair dryer it gets a bit softer and then you can try sliding a pick between the hose and the nipple. Once the pick is in a little, squirt WD40 next to it, the push some more. And sometimes you just sacrifice the hose and cut it.

Seconding @wentwest , I’ve had good luck installing tight fitting rubber hoses by heating them first. Never tried the hair dryer, seems like it would work though. I usually heat up some water in a bowl in the microwave, then let the end of the hose sit in that hot water for 30 seconds or so.

When removing hoses, you can always just cut them off with an Xacto knife or something similar if all else fails. Just be careful you only cut into the hose material, not what is underneath.