Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving

Missed all the festivities, wife has Covid, She got it 1 week after phizer booster, I am clear. We both had Moderna first 2 rounds. I went for moderna booster. I hope your day was great! Missing turkey and dressing, but not the rutabagas so much.

3 Likes

And you and yours as well. Sorry to hear about your wife.

4 Likes

Hope your wife recovers quickly with no lasting effects… and you avoid it, too!

3 Likes

So far I am fine, wife has more quarantine left. Nothing to serious but ups and downs, Thanks!

2 Likes

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

5 Likes

Hope all is well soon.

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well, and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the better half!

And I don’t know that I’ve ever heard rutabagas particularly associated with Thanksgiving.

That makes two of us must be a regional thing.

1 Like

Good thing she is fully vaccinated. That should mean a mild case. Still, you two shouldn’t spend too much time together. There’s plenty of time for togetherness at Christmas. Hang in ther @Barkydog and Mrs Barky.

2 Likes

… or–possibly–an ethnic thing.
My mother–whose father was English and whose mother was German–always served Mashed Rutabagas* at Thanksgiving, and I really grew to like them. Occasionally, I still make them today. Mom also served Creamed White Onions at Thanksgiving, and I also loved that dish.

I’m not sure whether those Mashed Rutabagas and Creamed Onions were an English “thing” or a German tradition, but I’m pretty sure that her parents’ countries of origin had something to do with serving those dishes.

*Some trivia: In The UK, Rutabagas are known as “Swedes”.

1 Like

Yeah, my MIL always cooked sauerkraut with pork chops in it for my FIL. I think he brought that tradition from Germany when he moved here in the early 1950s.

You may be right I never thought of ethnic.

The rutabagas were a favorite of wifeys father, he was Scottish, That worked out well as her mom did not like mashed potatoes.

I made mashed acorn squash a few days ago with butter and brown sugar. I microwaved the halved and cored squash for 15 minutes, scooped it out, mashed it then added the butter and brown sugar. Way good and very easy.

1 Like

Best wishes to you both.

1 Like