Honda transmission

I HAVE A 2003 HONDA ACCORD WITH 111,500 MILES ON IT. IT HAS NOT BEEN RUNNING SMOOTH FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS AND I’VE NOTICED A LEAK TOWARDS FRONT OF CAR. NOT SURE HOW LONG FOR LEAK. I’VE RECENTLY BEEN TOLD BY MY HONDA GARAGE THAT THE LEAK IS TRANSMISSION FLUID ( A BAD LEAK) AND THAT THE TRANSMISSION NEEDS REPLACED. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ON A 2003 HONDA?

You need a second opinion, unless there is something you are not telling us. Many transmissions leak and usually putting in a new seal solves that problem.

If the transmission is slipping as well, and you have never had it serviced before, it might be toast indeed. Honda transmissions do not take kindly to lack of maintenance. The fluid should be replaced every 30,000 miles or so, so by now you should be on your 3rd fluid change.

Please tell us more and we can comment morere specifically.

Honda’s have poor automatic transmissions in early 2000’s that are very failure prone.

However the failure does not typically involve a leak.

I would suggest a 2nd opinion on the manner from independent mechanic or transmission shop.

First I recommend getting your shift key fixed. ALL CAPS ARE HARD TO READ AND ARE CONSIDERED SHOUTING.

Driving with a transmission leak, even a small one can cause some real damage real fast. I agree you need a second opinion, but I would look for the closest transmission shop that is not a national chain.

Two weeks, or even less, of low fluid and slipping can kill a transmission quickly.
It would help to know exactly where the leak is before making any guesses as to whether it’s the car’s fault or not.

Examples. An axle seal leak could have been caused by a prior halfshaft replacement.
A torque converter seal leak could have also been caused by carelessness during a prior transmission removal and repair.
Running over debris on the highway and damaging a trans component could also cause this.

my 2004 accord had bearings going out at 43K. they put a new one in for free

[b][i]Asian Car Myth Maybe ?

;-)[/i][/b]

CSA