2001 Honda Accord transmission

honda
accord
transmissions

I have a 2001 Honda Accord with 97000 miles. I purchased it as a certified used Honda from a dealership when it had about 30000 miles. About 2 months ago, it began shifting roughly between 1st and 2nd gear. I asked my mechanic (not the dealer) about it and he suggested he drain about half the transmission fluid out and replace with new fluid. Then repeat in about 6 months.

I also called the dealership where I purchased the car and they suggested I bring it in along with my maintenance records.

I have kept up regular maintenance on the car but can’t find any record of transmission fluid replacement.

Should I try my mechanic’s recommendation of replacing half the fluid now and half later or should I just take it to the dealership?

Honda has been helping with replacing transmissions that fail prematurely. Visit the dealership and see what they have to say…

There was a 3 year period that Honda was having some premature failing of it’s transmissions. Once found…Honda corrected the problem…But your Accord is one of those years Honda had problems.

Thanks. I’ll give the dealership a try.