Honda Accord Transmission

Hi.

I have a 2002 Honda Accord LX with 123,000 miles (I am a single mom with a busy teenager). I purchased it brand new and I am the only driver. I keep it maintained with scheduled service and regular oil changes. I drive like a little old lady. My transmission is starting to slip and I am not in a position to acquire a car note. This car is paid off. This is my third Honda and I have never had a problem with a transmission until now. Anyone out there having a problem similar to mine? If so, what do you recommend? Should I go ahead and spend the $$$$$$$ to replace the transmission now or wait?

Have it checked first… It might just be low on fluid due to a minor leak. (Cooling lines) Or it might just have a bad liner solenoid. Its not very common for a Honda automatic to start slipping at that low of mileage…

transman

I own a 1999 Accord LX and have owned a 2000 Accord LX as well and both are from the same generation as yours. The 1998 through 2002 Accord is subject to well known problems in the automatic transmission. It is the ONLY generation to suffer with such problems. You can even see it if you look at the reliability ratings for used cars. From what I have seen you have done well to make it to 123,000 miles. This generation Accord is a gem and if it is in good shape I would fix it and hang on to it for a while longer. My 99 has 147,000 miles (stick shift so no tranny problems) and the only thing I have done other than maintenance is two brand new brake calipers in front at 129,000 miles.

At 123K miles, your car is not worn out. The transmission may, or may not, be going bad, but until you have an expert check it you’re just guessing. Even if you need a new transmission, it’s WAY less than the cost of another car. Honda Accords can go 250,000 to 300,000 miles with good maintenance and careful driving. Your Accord probably has lots of life left.

Follow Transman’s advice (I would, any time). Have the transmission checked by someone who knows what he/she is doing. Maybe it’s not as bad as you think. If they say you need a new transmission, get another opinion. Before you do ANYTHING, check the fluid level. Consult the owner’s manual regarding the proper procedure for checking the automatic transmission fluid level. It’s not the same as checking the engine oil level.

I don’t know which year they stopped using the throttle cable to the transmission, but if yours has one of these, you may only need to have this cable adjusted. The cable runs from the throttle body to the transmission. The throttle cable that goes to the throttle body from the gas pedal has to have a little slack in it, but the section that goes from the throttle body to the side of the transmission has to be just taunt. No tension but no slack either. If it has slack, it reduces the pump pressure so the clutches could slip.

If your car really does need a transmision, you should request that Honda replace it for free. Complain that you bought a Honda based on the reputation for reliability and longevity. Also mention that this is the only generation of Accords that have transmission problems, so obviously they know how to do it right, but did it wrong on your car.

Be prepared to make your argument to the district manager or whatever. Some dealers (in the Pittsburgh, PA area) are standing behind Honda’s reputation and replacing bad trannys for free. It’s definitely worth a try.

We have a 1998 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission that we purchased new. It is on it’s third transmission (including the one that came installed in the car from the factory). The first went at ~67,000 miles and was replaced for free by Honda. The second went at ~111,000 miles and was replaced free by Honda. For the second replacement I had to write to the president of Honda America. So, if you are the original owner, you should be able to get Honda to replace it for you.

However, does anyone know why these transmissions fail? Honda will not talk about it. Thanks.

Mark