Honda Odyssey motor mount problem

Ohhh, I misunderstood the flow, @TwinTurbo‌. While I may take his car maintenance advice someday, when it comes to forum maintenance, I don’t usually listen to @db4690 anyway. :wink:

Discussions usually die on their own.

@TwinTurbo‌

We are free to disagree with each other

Nobody’s forcing you to agree with my opinion

“Discussions usually die on their own.”

I might add something to this . . .

When somebody suddenly revives a months-old or years-old thread, I often make a statement to that effect

And a fair number of the regulars tend to like or agree with my statements to that effect

Please don’t make me out to be “the lone bad apple” . . . if that’s where some of you guys are heading

But either way, I’m a big boy, and I can handle criticism, to a point

I don’t think we have any bad apples at all. And @db4690, I did invoke your name with respect to thread closures, because you tend to directly ask for them. No criticism intended on my part.

1.4 million views? is that accurate?

@cdaquila‌

Thank you

And I might add something . . . when I directly ask for thread closures, some of the regulars often agree with me, or at least like my comment

I’m not going to bother mentioning names, because it wouldn’t serve any purpose

OK. To be honest, I hadn’t noticed that. I’ve been around more often lately, though. Will pay attention.

oh man, now I have another 13 page thread to read, thanks a lot for being interesting! :)don t worry, I won t contribute any more to it.

I’ll consider NOT asking for thread closures . . . no promises

You can always ask. Sometimes it might even happen.

Nobody’s forcing you to agree with my opinion
That goes without saying. No one can force someone to agree with them. Right? Right??? :slight_smile:

What follows in a disagreement? Hopefully, a healthy debate regarding each side’s merits. I tried to present a case supporting my opinion- nothing more.

Please don’t make me out to be “the lone bad apple”
If you take my last post out of context it might appear that way because, since we’re in this thread and you posted that comment, you were used as an example. However, if you read one of my prior posts in the thread, you will see I mentioned “a handful” of contributors/posters. I suspect you may be a handful at times but not in this instance :wink:

Let’s have an unhealthy, calorie-rich debate

I’m hungry

LOL

well gosh. I said I would not contribute and I try to keep my word to the moderater. but no one is perfect, least of all me. ok. while I don t see anything wrong with a person requesting to close a thread, especially a pointless or nasty one, it seemed an odd time to do so. the thread was hot again and drawing new people to the community. those people seemed to leave quickly when at least one of themfelt insulted. the new people were mostly all about Honda motor mounts. unless people are nasty I don t believe it benefits the forum to “run them off” even if they are stubborn or thick. I will pay close attention to all threads about Hondas now.

@wesw‌

“I will pay close attention to all threads about Hondas now.”

What purpose would that serve?

It’s not just old Honda threads that get revived

I have a 2005 Odyssey with 230k miles that’s experiencing really heavy vibration at low RPM. My local independent mechanic just diagnosed the issue as two broken motor mounts and quoted me $400 in parts and labor. I’d never heard of anyone needing to replace motor mounts, but after seeing the previous responses, I’m feeling pretty lucky to have made it this long!

I realize this topic is old, but thank you for not closing it. Seeing the previous responses over the years was helpful to gauge whether I was getting a good price and seeing reports of other people with the same problem increased my confidence in the diagnosis. I registered for the site to share this and hope a future visitor finds my minor contribution to the Odyssey motor mount saga helpful.

It’s two years later and now I find myself agreeing with db’s position. Keep them around to read but don’t let them be re-opened…maybe just link to them so others can follow if they choose?

Now one of us is probably going to post a reply to the OP from 2 years ago :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Motor mounts are definitely wear-and-tear items

The rubber compresses over time, and if it’s a hydraulic mount, the fluid can and does leak out, as the rubber tears

You definitely got good usage out of yours

I remember a customer at the dealership several years ago . . .

The car was in for a scheduled service. And he was advised to replace his motor mounts, because they were very badly worn. The rubber had collapsed, and the hydraulic fluid had clearly leaked out. Not only that, but the motor was literally sitting low

He declined, thinking we were a den of thieves

A few days later, the car comes back, on the hook

What happened . . .

The motor mounts further collapsed, to the point that they actually broke. The resulting movement caused one of the ground straps to shear off, which resulted in the motor shutting off, and not starting again

I’m sure the service advisor told him “I told you so” in a respectful manner

I was the one who replaced the motor mounts. Fortunately for the customer, the only thing he needed were those motor mounts and that ground strap

It could have been worse. Collapsed mounts sometimes result in the fan contacting the shroud, which can cause bent blades and a messed up shroud, both of which need to be replaced. The blades for sure. Sometimes the fan shroud can be reused, depending on the level of damage

A completely broken mount can also put severe tension on hoses and lines, which sometimes causes damage to these, and whatever’s attached to them

HI there, I have just joined the cartalk to share some information with all Honda Odyssey friends and hope my details will help.

I own 2006 Honda Odyssey with bed engine mounts, I have noticed that a lot of Honda owners have similar problems with vibration related to engine mount. I would like to post the link where clients can file Vehicle Safety Complaint (which i did at thttps://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). I have also contacted Honda directly at customer service 1 800-999-1009 and found out they do not have any record of such problems on file so it is recommended we contact them directly not thru dealers.
Please let me know how I can share my information with more people so Honda can consider this issue more seriously.
Thank you,

Loyal Honda Customer

Hi there, I have just joined the cartalk to share some information with all Honda Odyssey friends and hope my details will help.
I own 2006 Honda Odyssey with bed engine mounts, I have noticed that a lot of Honda owners have similar problems with vibration related to engine mount. I would like to post the link where clients can file Vehicle Safety Complaint (which i did at thttps://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/). I have also contacted Honda directly at customer service 1 800-999-1009 and found out they do not have any record of such problems on file so it is recommended we contact them directly not thru dealers.
Please let me know how I can share my information with more people so Honda can consider this issue more seriously.
Thank you,
Loyal Honda Customer