Honda motor mounts - honda needs to "man up" and recall this defective design

COMPLETELY WALKING AWAY FROM HONDA. I BOUGHT A NEW 2002 HONDA ODYSSEY. BABIED THE CAR, CHANGED THE OIL EVERY 3,000 - AT THE DEALERSHIP. THE CAR WAS NEVER RIGHT - LOTS OF ISSUES. SOLD IT RIGHT BEFORE IT FELL OUT OF WARRANTY. DEALER SAID THEY COULD NEVER REPLICATE OUR ISSUES WITH THE TRANSMISSION. GOT SUCKERED INTO BUYING THE NEW 2005 MODEL. BABIED THE CAR AGAIN, FANATICAL SERVICE HISTORY AT THE DEALERSHIP HELL BENT TO MAKE THIS CAR LAST 10 YEARS. HAS 65,000 MILES AND HAVE BEEN TOLD WE NEED TO REPLACE THE MOTOR MOUNTS. COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. AFTER SEEING ALL OF THE POSTS THERE IS NO QUESTION THEY SHOULD “MAN UP” TO THIS DESIGN DEFECT AND COVER THEIR CUSTOMERS. IF THEY DO NOT - I HEREBY SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO NOT ONLY NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA - I WILL MAKE IT MY LIFE MISSION TO ENSURE NO ONE THAT I SPEAK TO WILL AFTER I GET THROUGH TELLING THEM OF HONDA’S ATTITUDE TOWARDS CUSTOMER SERVICE. TIME TO GIVE THE GRINGO’S IN AMERICA A LOOK - THEY ARE EARNING THEIR WAY BACK INTO MY HEART AND HONDA CAN JUMP IN A LAKE.

Why are your CAPS on? Odysseys are built in the USA and Canada. How do you know your motor mounts need replacing? Which ones? I have a 2002 Odyssey and haven’t replaced anything. Maybe your Honda dealer is just trying to maximize its revenue.

Did they show you evidence your motor mounts need replacing?

I think is funny when a person has bad luck with a car make and continues buying it and complains.

Good luck.

Here’s a place to file your complaint:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I did a quick search for the 2002 Odyssey and there are no similar compaints. I looked under ‘engine and engine cooling’ and ‘structure’. Nothing else looked like it could have motor mounts under the heading.

Based on your screen name, and the obvious tell of the all caps post, I dub thee Sir Internet Troll, and invite you to go back under the bridge where you belong.

-disclaimer- Assuming you’re not a troll, come back, turn the caps lock key off, and give us a detailed description of what happened rather than an angry rant, and maybe we can make some progress.

Well I’ll give the guy one thing, Honda’s reputation is seldom supported by their actual performance…

Take a deep breath, calm down, and provide some details about any car symptoms and the definition of engine mount; as in singular or plural.

You should not diss Honda over this problem, or alleged problem, because there is not one vehicle that has ever been manufactured that is hiccup-free. If you dump every vehicle that has a problem into the ocean then you and everyone else would be afoot.

WD-40 on the CAPS key might help that hiccup. :slight_smile:

Your 2005 car is now 6 years old. Taking it back to Honda every 3K miles for service is no guarantee that nothing will every break, wear out, or fall off your car. I think your expectations are for perfection, and you’ll not be satisfied since nothing is perfect.

Perhaps if you buy American you won’t have the same “perfection” expectation and be happier with your car(s). Why did you stop buying American cars? While not perfect American cars have always been pretty reliable. If you bought into the “perfection” image of Honda (and Toyota) you have been disappointed. Honda dealers have always had service departments, and they look pretty busy most of the time. The work going on in those service bays involve a lot more than routine oil changes much of the time. Yeap, Honda’s break too, so what else is news?

If you plan to keep any car for 10 years you have to expect to pay for some repairs along the way.

Asian Car Myth Exposed, Again

Always exclusively proud American car owner,
CSA

I missed out on what was actually exposed, can you enlighten me?

All I see is some disgruntled person ranting about a couple of minivans that he had serviced at a bad dealership that wouldn’t fully troubleshoot his problems.

Engine mounts are typically destroyed by drivers who have repetitive lead foot syndrome.
I know from personal experience. I’ve destroyed more engine mounts in many different types of cars than anyone else I’ve ever met. I’ve replaced them all, and actually inspect my mounts once every year.

Nothing in his rant showed that his car was unreliable, in any way, shape, or form.
His transmission worked, but he claims it had issues in his first minivan.
In his second minivan, he tore up an engine mount.

No electrical gremlins.
No being left on the side of the road in the rain or snow.
No being towed to the dealer because of a CEL that keeps coming on.

Nothing that proves there is an actual myth being exposed.

Please show me where you see any myth being exposed, because I can’t find it.

BC.

Some or all of the OP’s complaints about his vehicles may or may not be justified and at this point I would not bash the dealer over what may or may not have been done.
The impression among many is that a car that suffers a problem can be taken in and the glitch found by pulling codes or rooting around a bit for something simple. This is not always the case and many problems occur with no codes be it engine or drivetrain.

The myth part is that many also think because has a Honda badge on the rear end that automatically guarantees them a quarter million miles minimum of never a hiccup.
Hondas break on a regular basis just like everything else and on a side note the local Honda dealer recently expanded the size of the service department building by over 300%.

Hey I had a Caravan once that busted a motor mount.

I guess that proves all American cars are crap too.

Guess my next car will be a Lada. :wink:

I think someone NEEDS a hug. Everybody now, AAhhhhhhh, Doesn’t that feel better.

OK - sorry about the all caps email - thank you for the feedback. I picked up the car yesterday from Honda after $862.40 for a "collapsed rear motor mount. Evidently there are four (4) motor mounts. The Service Manager advised me that it is quite common to see these fail. The rear mount is the most difficult to replace. The one part was $542.86 and the labor was $319.85. He mentioned he knocked off a few bucks off of the mount given he was surprised at the cost and felt bad about the repair given my service history. I asked him should I expect the others to start to fail given they have the same age/mileage and he said no way to tell. He did state that sometimes on one fails it places pressure on the remaining mounts and causes there failure. I google searched “honda motor mounts” and found this to be very common and that other Honda owners were very surprised to learn of this unplanned expense that is not maintainance related. My biggest concern is the vehicle is worth $12K on trade in and I could get hit with another $2K to replace more mounts which is motor mount repairs at 25% the value of the car. Just wish I knew this was a common problem - and still believe it is a design flaw given the high number of reported incidences (including according to the dealer) . If it is just the reality of the car owners or potential owners should be made aware. For the record: I own a 2007 Rubicon (bought new), a 2005 Honda Oddysey (bought new) a 2005 300C AWD (bought used) and a 2008 Mercedes E350 (leased new). I do not discriminate -just expect quality and a manufacturer to stand behind their product. Sorry about the rant - but I think I am being fair. .

Oh, you’ve been hurt. You need to meditate more and restore your Honda ZEN. When you’re calm …at peace…passive …then you’ve reached Honda ZEN.

Motor mounts @ 65k? What’s the big deal? Hardly a reason to use the NEVER AGAIN!!! geezer cliche~ utterance. While I age, I refuse to fall into stereo typical dysfunction. NEVER AGAIN!! is the first thing a geezer says when they encounter the FIRST problem with anything. The world is an imperfect place and if one says “NEVER AGAIN!!” (imagine a fist being pounded upon a table w/ rage in one’s voice) at every instance of failure, you won’t, assuming you live long enough, be able to use anything …nor leave your house without a titanium umbrella …just in case there’s a stray meteor shower due…

Now go in a quiet room and meditate about the good things that come to mind about your Honda experience. Honda ZEN.

Enhance your calm …and be well

You’re out of warranty by 3 years. Honda has no obligation to do anything for you. I think you need to “man up” , stop whining, and accept what’s happened, and either fix it yourself or pay someone to fix it for you and move on with your life. The vehicle is 6 years old, unexpected repairs are going to start showing up from time to time.

I see that part for $429 at autopartswarehouse.com (for Odysseys with leather seats.)

A rear mount for vans with cloth seats lists for only $86.95 at the same site. I wonder if the $86 dollar mount wouldn’t work since the engine and frame are the same.

The dealer always guarantees you pay the highest price for parts.

I’ve had a few issues with prices on some Honda parts. I will say one thing about Honda they do make a good car. I’ve had VW’s for so many years until I switched to a Honda. You don’t know how much I appreciate how reiable these cars are. You want junk? buy a VW then you will really complain.

It would be interesting to know if Consumer Reports warned about weak Honda motor mounts. Does anyone here have old copies?

I checked safercar.gov and there were no motor mount complaints. But Shhhtuff happens.