Honda Odyssey motor mount problem

@Mick61, you’re going to stay away from Honda because of some motor mounts at 63K?

There is no such thing as a car that only needs scheduled maintenance.
No offense, but you expect too much from your car.

Went to the dealer today for an oil change and found out my 2006 Odyssey with 146,000 has broken rear and side motor mounts to cost $864, both inner cv boots are leaking $758 and the power steering pump is leaking $552. I faithfully take care of my car for all scheduled maintenances and am shocked at all of these things happening at the same time. The whole reason I had the technician check the underbody was because the car has been sounding very loud lately and I thought it might be my exhaust. This was our first Honda but I think we are going to trade this and go with something else. I’ve always heard Honda’s last years and I was hoping to get 200,000-250,000 with good maintanence. I am shocked by all of this motor mount info on this forum. I will be calling Honda customer care tomorrow as well as the NHTSA to file a complaint. I wonder how long the motor mounts are warranted for once they are replaced?

@hondamoma what do you expect Honda customer care to say?
Your car has 146,000 miles!

By the way, have you shopped around by price?
Perhaps an independent shop can do it cheaper.
Also, you might want to get a second opinion. Perhaps it’s not necessary to do all of this work all at once.
Are the CV joints noisey? The axleshafts can often be saved, if the torn/leaking boots are detected and replaced early.
Just how bad is that power steering pump leak?

At 7 plus years and 146k miles problems are to be expected with any car.
Complain to Honda and the NHTSA if you want but all you will receive is a canned response acknowledging the complaint.

Car makers will gladly provide a quarter million miles, bumper to bumper, no strings attached warranty that covers everything under the sun but the MSRP on a new car will probably quadruple because in the end the customer is going to pay for it.

Were they really bad, or just cracks in the rubber? I always view these state inspection rejections with a hairy eyeball. Too many places use them as revenue generators and always find something wrong even if there isn’t.

I just replaced the rear motor mount on my 2005 odyssey touring for $855. My air was not cooling. they repalced a relay and stated it was fixed. Driving home it is still not blowing cold. added freon, blew very cold two days later not blowing cold. Are any lines related to ac involved with motor mount repair?

The engine mounts on my Honda Odyssey failed after 40,000 miles. I told the mechanic that seemed a little fast. He agreed and said they shouldn’t fail for at least another 40,000 miles but said it was my problem (a $3K problem) as Honda doesn’t cover it. Honda is not the brand it used to be.

I’m now a new member of the Odyssey bad motor mount club. Took my 06 Ody in for service at our Honda dealersip to discover they wanted $2100 in motor mount repair! ALL motor mounts needed replacing, after 105K miles, They said its a safety issue not optional. Reluctantly I said OK but boy does this hurt after only 7 years. (On top of this there was a $2600 PAINT JOB problem but I have verified with Honda this is HONDAS FAULT and hopefuly they will pay for it - BAD E-COAT (undercoat), but thats another story).

Here’s what I found: Honda dealer motor mount parts $600 each with $900 labor for the job. Job total $2100 for all motor mounts.

Out of interest even though it was too late because they had started the job at Honda, I called SEARS for comparison and they wanted $780 TOTAL for the SAME JOB. Reader please note, this was SEARS over the phone but they spent a long time checking the correct parts for this vehicle…but I cannot verify for sure they were correct).

BAD design Honda
SHAME for not helping the customer on this one
TOTAL RIP OFF PRICING for repair at the dealership.

If I have it correct some links in this discussion show motor mounts at about $60. Honda wants $1200 for all mounts?! Absolutely shameful. I don’t see myself buying Honda ever again. And prior to this week, I loooooved this car.

Some people are saying, hey, you got 7 years and 150k miles, you should expect this kind of issue. I disagree. Some parts wear out from use and can be expected to fail. These motor mounts are failing because of the fact they have to be active and restrain a seriously shuddering motor due to the ill-concieved VCM design package. You don’t see Toyota Sienna mounts failing wholesale at this point in their life and it’s basically the same application but without an engine that shudders the mounts to death.

I’m all for accepting normal wear and tear and the costs/inconvenience associated with it. This is the result of a poor design package and what is the actual benefit to the consumer? My van barely gets 22 mpg even with this VCM feature! And the shudder felt by the operator is still noticeable even with the active isolators…First and last Honda for me…

Some people are saying, hey, you got 7 years and 150k miles, you should expect this kind of issue.

Motor mounts do wear out…but I agree this is way too soon.

Could be poor design…or just poor materials used in the manufacturing.

As for the cost…$2100 is awfully high. I wouldn’t pay it. The mounts themselves don’t cost that much…so most of it is labor. That’s a awful lot of labor.

Checking the Rock Auto website it is clear that there are solid rubber mounts available for this van that are 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of the active type ( the active type are designed to be similar to the factory ones.)
I would imagine you would have a lot more vibration with the solid ones.

@oldtimer 11

I’m no expert and could be wrong but I think the solid mounts are for the non-VCM versions of the van. You can’t sub those in place of the active mounts. Just based on the level of vibration felt during normal use, they wouldn’t work…and I use truly solid (no isolator at all) motor mounts on two high hp big block chevys w/lumpy cams I own so it’s not like I’m totally unfamiliar with it. Just didn’t expect it in a family hauler…

Well this is my first time sharing the experience with latest expenses on my 2001 Odyssey EX - well maintained through dealer service, garage parked, mostly driven locally. All this year’s VAN has not given any problems or failed any safety inspection, but in 2011 during the State Safety Inspection, Honda service asked me to replace the Front Motor Mount. Reference on the invoice either it was deteriorating/Rubber cracked or Splitting. Car Mileage during the service 85K and total cost with the labor around $490.30. It was a bit shock since a month back I had done complete timing belt, water pump, drive belt and adjuster job done. Is it possible the Front Motor Mount failure can happen due to the negligence of service or just a coincidence?

Being very satisfied with the dealership and done service through past ten years, I agreed to get the Front Mount job done, until today (current mileage 102 K) same Honda service called me with the Rear Mount failure. For the past 2 years maintained van through the same Honda dealer with 90 K service, rear brake with suggestion to replace front compliance bushings and alignment. Since the last service and due for Safety Inspection, I decided to get front bushings done with Safety inspection. Is it just a coincidence or do technician spots Engine Mount deterioration during the Safety Inspection. Is it possible the compliance busing or low pressure in front tires can cause the Engine Mount wear?

Personally didn’t hear any vibration o

Cost to replace Rear Engine Mount is around $550 (labor & parts) before taxes and other fees dealer tags. After reading through entire list, price seems reasonable, but any suggestions appreciated.

If anyone had similar experience, please comment. Hope my comments helpful, but taking notice on what to expect with my 2005 Honda V6 Hybrid.

Does everyone realize this thread was started in 2010?

Motor mounts should not fail this early, especially not all 4, and it’s not like the driving habits of most minivan owners could be described as ‘spirited’… or even ‘lively’ for the most part. I have had many cars over the years, and beat the heck out of some of them, raced them, done horrible things to them that should have been captioned with “professional driver on closed course”… except it was just me behaving like an idiot :slight_smile: I have only ever had one broken motor mount on a car, and for the early part of my driving days, I had cars with well over 100K and that others had mostly thrown away. This is either a design flaw of the motor mounts on this vehicle or substandard parts from a supplier, or both.

Azide 999,
Apparently this particular mount is much more costly because it is hydraulic & only available through the dealer. :frowning: Someone else here made a very good point that parts should cost less over time, not more! :frowning: $700 for rear engine mount in 2013 for my 2005 Odyssey. :frowning:

I created an account just to agree with all of you. My car has been rumbling, especially when I am coming to a stop or switching gears. My 2005 Odyssey, 85,000 needs new engine mounts to the tune of $1600. I’ve never ever heard of replacing these parts until now. Disappointed that Honda is not bring responsible about this defect in engineering.
Please do as young23 advises. I am filing a complaint. There is strength in numbers!

I have a 1992 Honda Odyssey with the same problem. At first I thought the problem was associated with the transmission,

This problem seems to go way back. I just had my 1999 Odessey in for a 100,000-mile transmission fluid change, and asked the mechanic to check out why the car jumps when put into reverse when the transmission is cold. He said that every one of five motor and transmission mounts are broken.
From other comments about this, I guess that I got a good deal, getting all five replaced for $750.
Yet, I was truly surprised, given that I was always told that Hondas are reliable for a good long time. The mechanic showed me the used parts, and it was surprising that the car had even moved out of the driveway in that condition. How can such a serious problem continue for so long without the manufacturer caring to change what’s wrong?

Created an account just to share experience. 2007 odyssey -105k miles-was just told I have three cracked engine mounts. $2100 to repair! Have also had to replace hydraulic rear door mechanism-very dangerous when fails-could crush a small child as door is incredibly heavy with no hydraulic support. Bearings have worn out on one side door. Run flat tires were a big mistake- replaced them as soon as bought vehicle when realized only dealerships could provide replacement tire.
Have never experienced engine mount issues- have three 4 wheel drive vehicles.
Van has driven great but engine mount issue is icing on cake- no more hondas!!!

We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey; we keep this van in near perfect service, we have a littler over 100,000 miles. Problems from the start: started with dash lights going out soon after warranty, stone damaged the A/C compressor, my mech said it was a design flaw, beneath car, he installed a screen to protect against future damage, that repair was over $500.00, soon after there was a class action suit for this very issue. Passanger door lock won’t come up, driver door lock won’t unlock at intermitent times… Power steering line has leaked twice, first fixed by dealer, second time brought back to dealer they said unrelated to first issue, didn’t believe them so I brought to my mech, he fixed and it, happened to be same power steering line repaired by dealer, never will I go back to dealer, can’t trust.
Last issue is HUGE, all 4 motor mounts are damaged! Had a visit at my local dealer, but only to diagnose problem, they confirmed all 4 mounts needed to be replaced, $2,000.00! They too confirmed this is a big problem with this model, my mech has serviced 10 odyssey vans with this problem.
Not sure if we’ll replace, but 100% SURE I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA PRODUCT!!! ESPECIALLY AFTER READING ALL OVER THE INTERNET THE PROBLEMS WITH THE MOTOR MOUNTS!!! AND THEY WON’T RECALL? Lost my faith in Honda… Oh I forgot we also replaced starter, and recently the ignition switch, or some component in the ignition, what I do is first have the dealer diagnose then have it fixed elsewhere, that way the issue is on record with Honda. I have a lexus ls 400 with 280,000 miles, none of these issues with that car… we have friends with other mini vans, no motor mount issues… good luck, these companies will only fix when forced by death or the potential of death…