Honda Odyssey motor mount problem

I had the same issue with my 2006 Honda Odyssey after bringing it in for a brake master cylinder recall, the service manager notified me that 2 motor mounts needed to be replaced which would cost around $1500. He explains that it is a common issue with Odyssey vans and not part of regular maintenance, but they see it often. I asked why doesn’t the company do something about it, he could not give me an answer. You can file your consumer complaint with NHTSA at this site: http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2006/honda/odyssey/
Maybe if we get enough complaints, the will force Honda to recall the van to get it fixed at their expense.

I have the exact same problem with my 2006 odyssey with 85K miles. The car started making intermittent droning noise on the highways. And the dealer says the rear motor mount is broken. Cost to fix $970. I’ve had this problem for a while and having seen so many similar complaints I believe this is a manufacturing defect.

Same problem with my 2006 odyssey 85K miles. Rear motor mounts shot. Cost to fix $970. Have been hearing intermittent droning noise on the highways. Looks like a manufacturing defect after seeing all these similar complaints.

I have a 2005 Odyssey that I just got a call about my engine mounts. I brought it in to the dealer back in Dec 2010 for the 60000 mile service and they didn’t find it then. The care was in the dealer for brakes and a rattling noise (catalytic converter heat shields) and they also found this problem. Between brakes, heat shields and engine mounts - $2000. I had an extended warranty that was 5 years/50000 miles. Did I mention the power steering is shot as well. There is a techical advisory for the power steering fluid resevoir not functioning but not for the power steering pump itself. Last time I am purchasing a Honda.

Like everyone here, my 2005 Odyssey with 53,000 miles was diagnosed with cracked motor mounts. We had brought the car to the dealer for a recent recall and they found this problem and would love us to pay $1900 to fix them. I immediately called Honda of America and registered a complaint because, even though I’ve had a few Hondas and kept them for a long time (9 years, 6 years respectively), I’ve never heard of this problem. They are reviewing my case. Subsequently, I googled the problem and saw a number of car forums discussing this issue.

During my initial discussion with Honda, they said that very few people (about one a month) call to complain about this problem. He then admitted that they estimate only 2% of the public actually call the Corporation. I told him that even though I’ve read a number of forum discussions about this problem, I’ve not read anyone who has actually called Honda of America to complain about the problem (someone below asked if anyone had called but no one replied).

Therefore, I would suggest to everyone that they call Honda of America and complain, perhaps they will put through a voluntary recall. (By the way, I’ve also registered a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration who also said that they encourage anyone with this similar problem to contact them).

My wife has a 2005 Honda Odyssey MiniVan 60K miles - took it in for service and they told us it had a broken rear motor mount. This is something that Honda needs to take care of this. noticed on multiple forums that Odyssey owners are reporting the same problem. This type of part that holds the transmission and motor to to the chassis should not break at 60k miles and it’s not a coincidence that it’s occurring at 60K miles to 5 year old Odysseys - sounds like either bad material or engineering issue.
I just finished faxing a letter to Honda regarding this issue. Also opened a case up via a phone call to customer service.

If you have this issue please call in and report it to Honda customer care and submit to this forum.

I have had the same problem with my 2005 Odyssey. My extended warranty expired after 75000 miles, I am at 78000. Within the last 6 months I have had to replace the catalytic converter $595, the power steering pump $700+, and now they are recommending I replace the rear engine mount $970, the Left Rear Shock $312 , and the Left Axle Seal $279. I realize some of these are from wear and tear but the Engine mount seems to be a defect. I am waiting for the service department to call me for their regular post service survey so that I can complain. I also plan on contacting the head of the service department and Honda Care.

This seems to be a huge problem with the cars that have the ECO mode for Honda. Huge as in happens often and costs much to repair. Took my 2005 Honda Odyssey with 110,000 miles in to the dealer yesterday due to a recall and regular maintenance and shared that there had been a loud vibration problem recently. Turns out rear motor mount is completely shot and they are quoting me $930 to repair it. The part itself costs over $500 they are telling me. Again, when I was surprised at the cost I was told Hondas are not cheap…well, that does not help pay the bill. I think a recall is in order on these. This van will have cost me over $3000 in less than 6 months…why did I keep it when it hit 100,000 miles?

This is a huge problem. My 2004 Honda Odyssey has 110,000 miles on it. I have gotten all my maintenance performed at the dealership and no one noticed that my engine mount was severely worn until after my 100,000 warranty ran out. I have filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, complaint no. 10425453. My suggestion is that all who are willing file a complaint and reference this number. I was told that if there is a recall and you have paid for the repair, Honda will have to reimburse you.

Azide999, I wholeheartedly agree about the tC. However, you should be aware that it has a few imperfections. One is that the AC condensation drain line drains right above the passenger side frame mounting stud and nut, and corrosion can evolve there. The fix is simple, extend the end of the rubber tube away from that spot.

Also, tC’s have been subject to failure of the hatch support struts. You can buy heavy duty struts from autopartswarehouse for about $44 a pair, if I remember correctlly.

One more thing they don’t tell you. There is a protocol for resetting the sliding roof should it develop a wind leak. Open it fully, then close it fully, then hold the close button for roughly 90-180 seconds. You’ll hear it reset itself.

Overall, they’re great vehicles. I love my tC. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

Just gave the O.K. to replace two motor mounts on my 04 Odyssey with 110,000 miles. Front mount was close to 300 parts and labor. Since they were doing the timing belt replacement there is no charge on the rear mount ($80.00). This forum has blown my mind.

I hope if we continue to post new and updates Honda America will do something about it.

Wow. I have recently found myself, contrary to every fiber of my being since they were first produced, to be lusting after a “minivan”. After seeing this thread, Honda is off the list of contenders.

Just got off the phone with Honda America re. my 2004 Odyssey’s two broken motor mounts. My charge was a little over $700, which doesn’t sound too bad compared to others on this blog. Ditto everything that’s been said–shop says this is not a typical maintenance item, they see a lot of this, they are particularly expensive parts. The shop was surprised that the price hasn’t come down on these parts which is what often happens when a part on an older vehicle is ordered frequently. Honda person was very kind and polite–they are well-trained, I’ll give them that. I was given a complaint number and it will be “registered,” whatever good that will do. I’m well out of warranty in years and miles (95K) so she recommended I go to the dealer, get a diagnosis, get case reviewed for possible financial assistance. The repair was already complete so no go for me, but I would recommend this route for anyone else. I’m not hopeful anything would come of it given what I’ve read, but it never hurts to ask. Bummed about Honda’s lack of action on this obvious design flaw. This is our second Honda. We will be in the market for a new car within the year and Honda probably won’t make the list.

“she recommended I go to the dealer, get a diagnosis, get case reviewed for possible financial assistance.”

Just because you have already paid for the repair, that does not necessarily mean that you can’t qualify for some “goodwill” assistance.

Personally, I would transmit a copy of the paid repair invoice to Honda of America, along with a letter mentioning your history of being repeat Honda buyers, and asking for financial assistance with the bill that you paid.

Whatever you do, DO NOT tell them that this will be your last Honda. Instead, emphasize your extreme disappointment that “this most reliable of makes” has such a widespread problem.

If you write a good, convincing letter, you just may prevail with them. In my case, the alternator on my '97 Outback failed after ~97,000 miles, and I was able to convince Subaru of America to reimburse me in full.
With any luck, Honda might send you a check for…maybe $200 or $300.

Well, same story here. 2005 Odyssey, 78K miles, three motor mounts shot. Brought it for oil change and steering pump recall. 8y/120K HondaCare just paid for itself and then some.

Nice van otherwise. All cars have weak spots.

The motor mount problem with Honda is obviously a poor design and unfortunatley all Honda owners (and Acura) that have these mounts are paying the price for it. My 05 accord made it to 120k before before needing them. If you think you have any mechancial knowledge at all, the front mount and passenger are easy to replace on the V6 accord for as low as $175 for the parts and about 4 hours of your time. Parts are available online at a fraction of the cost by the dealer. What?.. am I supposed to have confidence that the Honda OEM part is good?? No way… Confidence gone. The back mount is way too hard to get to, but there are a lot of mechanics out there that very knowledgable of this problem so shop around. This is my third honda in 20 years. Love the cars, but unfortunately Honda’s engineers blew this one and blew it real bad.

jdelagado wrote:

"I’ve read through most of these… Can I ask why most of you didn’t buy an extended warranty on this van?

I debated it for a millisecond when I bought my '06 Odyssey in 2007. $1200 for it and I’ve used $900 on it already with an major a/c problem.

I can’t believe all the complaining here about Honda “not offering a discount”. Well, a lesson for you all anyway. A lesson for me here too…"

Lucky for you getting your AC replaced at less than price you paid for the warranty! Question. have you replaced your motor mounts yet? How many times if I ask.

so much for japanese infallabilty. Years ago I was reluctant to buy a dodge caravan because of so called reliability issues. Just turned over 260000 miles. 3 brake jobs, 5 timing belts and water pumps, 1 rear wheel brake cylinder and 6 sets of tires. Still running good and burning a quart every 4500 miles. Not counting maintinence, less than $300 in repairs. Getting very rusty. I was thinking about going to a Honda but not anymore.

Just got my 2002 Odyssey back from the dealer (Ken Garff Honda in Ogden) for the airbag recall. They told me the front motor mount was broken and the side one was cracked. I haven’t had a chance to look at either one. The lady at the service desk was useless and clearly didn’t care about whether I brought them my business, so I’m looking elsewhere for the repair. Has just over 100k miles on it. Disappointing performance from the motor mount, and from the dealer. Like many on this list, I am surprised, and happy to take my next car purchase to another brand. It is a huse disappointment that Honda doesn’t address this obvious flaw. I had two Saab 900s that I ran up 300k each on and never touched a motor mount.

During a routine oil change on our 2004 odyssey yesterday, my wife was told that the front and side motor mounts were broken and needed replacement. Came here only to see that many others have experienced the same. Per previous comments, I filed a complaint with the NHTSA ( https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/) and encourage others to do the same as it was easy to do.