Honda Odyssey motor mount problem

Just learned that my '06 Odyssey with just about 70k miles on it has a bad rear motor mount. My local dealer wants to charge over $800 to replace just that one motor mount. Reporting from Tampa, FL.

Odyssey’s are reliable if you overlook a high rate of transmission failures and motor mounts that need replacing.

just got a call from my honda dealership.
we have always taken the car to the dealership for all service and on time for any maint.

he said there is a broken motor mount, this van only has 53k on it, it is a 2001.
we have always baby this van… only 2 drivers, mostly the wife till about 6 months ago and then I started driving to save a little money on gas.

has anyone had any luck with their dealership helping with getting these mounts replaced thru honda at a discount?
thanks
dick

Our 2005 Odyssey has similar problem as described from other posts - making noise and vibrate when engine in low speed (starting acceleration).
Our local dealer told us it is caused by ruptured rear engine mount. They have quoted around $700 to fix it. What an expensive repair!

Three of my mounts broke at about 100k. I’ve got over 200k miles on another vehicle and have never had this problem. I think it’s a defect with the break-away connection being too sensitive.

I bought a 2003 Odyssey in 2004 with 15,000 miles and babied the vehicle. At about 18,000 miles I began to get an oscillation in the front, primarily when I hit a slight up hill grade. It feels as if one of the front strut was out of control. To stop this quickly, I have to ease off the gas pedal; this occurs rarely and intermittently. It got progressively worst as the vehicle got older. I decide to investigate and found that the right engine mount is cracked and I can rock the engine from that location without much effort. There is definitely a engine mount problem with odysseys.

Yes, my 2002 Honda Odyssey also have several engine mounts (sides and rear) replaced several times already, normally at the time when performed the major service in the dealer (I did all the recommended service at the honda dealers so far).

I believe this is a defect with Odyssey’s design, and taht’s not even in any routine service list per Odyssey owner manual. I doubted if I had the maintenance service done by non-dealer shop, will they find that out? And how long will a cracked engine mount keep working for safety? (I mean, if I did not do the major service in dealer, then the problem won’t even be found, because those minor or intermediate service in dealer won’t even check that).

I am feeling been ripped by Honda…I hope there would be some class-lawsuit on this soon.

I just found out that the front, side and rear mount needs to be replaced and will cost me $1,941.03. I can understand if I was careless with my vehicle, but I am a loyal customer to the Honda dealership and had all of the scheduled maintenance done to my vehicle in the last five years. I was shock to hear that mounts needed replacement due to supposedly normal wear and tear from exposure of high and low temperatures. I was so angry, that I had to walk out. I believe they have lost honda customer. Does anyone make reliable vehicles anymore. The cost of a car keeps increasing and yet their quality declines. This is unexceptable!

I just learned that our 2005 Honda Odyssey with ~75K miles has a broken rear motor mount. Interestingly, on the touring model, this mount has a hydraulic damping bladder built into it; the damping changes (according to our local dealer) depending on the state of the engine mode (economy or regular). In any case, the dealer service manager explained that this unit is tucked up right near the exhaust manifold, and so is subject to lots of heat. (Brilliant…putting rubber next to a heat source…) This motor mount is the most expensive one; ~$600. $400 in labor, for a total of $1K. Frankly, a motor mount should not let go after 5 years, that seems unacceptably low to me. I called American Honda Corporate Customer Service, they could not help with the situation. But I agree, that perhaps there should be a class recall action on this, if the problem is widespread. I will post a photo of the old part (which I have asked for) if there is something of interest to see.

So, we had the motor mount replaced. I have attached photos; the pencil and pliers point to where the leak is; its just a pinhole. You can see that the rubber has cracked badly on one side of the mount; yet just inches away the rubber is in pretty good condition. I think its likely that the service advisor was correct, that one part of this mount is tucked up near the exhaust system, and that heat degraded the rubber on this part of the mount. Needless to say, this is ridiculous. Honda should either use thicker rubber on this portion of the mount, or just mount a shield to protect it from heat. These parts should last way more than 5 years. I did call Honda Corporate Customer service, and politely asked if there was anything they could do. Unfortunately, there are no recalls on these parts. Shame on Honda for cheap engineering! I’ll remember this when I replace my other car…

I have a 2005 Odyssey. Just replaced an engine mount in Madison, Wi. Part cost = $540 w/ Labor and tax total cost was $745 @ 86K miles. The problem probably existed for a while now…so I’m guessing around 70K is when the mount actually went bad. Honda told me the part was warrantied 5 years 60K miles. (how convenient) The part is clearly faulty and not engineered properly. After it goes out the engine will move dramatically when you accelerate. I’m sure this is not good for the power train when the engine is turning 3-4 inches every time you accelerate. If this isn’t a perfect candidate for a recall I don’t know what is? How about a class action law suit? If a majority of Odyssey owners from 03-06 are having this issue how much money would that be @ $600-$1500 per repair? I’ll be writing to several class action attorneys since Honda refuses to take care of their customers with a problem that is clearly rampant. This is my 1st honda. I loved the van till now. Other complaints include: very loud, grinding brakes. Power steering does not work at low speeds / parking, etc. I suspect I’ll need a major break job (new rotors and hubs) and a power steering over haul. That all should be cheap…on a van that hasn’t even hit 100K miles yet. Anyone want to buy a van?

I just had my 2005 Odyssey with 68,000 miles diagnosed with 2 broken motor mounts. The dealer said they cost $500 each plus labor. The dealer stated it is a common problem with that year Odyssey. Luckily my extended warranty is covering the cost of the repair, but Honda should clearly recall the 2005 Odyssey for bad motor mounts. I have never had a problem with broken motor mounts on other Hondas or Toyotas I have owned, all with more miles.

Same story–a little higher mileage. I suspect however, that this has been going on for some time. We’ve had it in over and over for the vibration and noise up front and were told each time that nothing could be found. This from three different dealers (we leave home for the winter). Even bought the extended warranty on this vehicle and, conveniently, the problem was found just after the 120K warranty expired. Our estimates are $820 for the front and $710 for the rear. This car has been nothing but a headache and we are done!! No more Honda. Does anyone know how unsafe it is to continue to drive it until we decide what we want to trade for? Need to go back up north for the holidays. thanks

HOW MUCH??? They must be rather special mounts. I have to replace at least 2 of the 4 on my wife’s 2004 Misubishi Eclipse GTS. If I buy good parts from Autozone, all 4 will be $350, from Rockauto.com, $260, for the same parts. I don’t know how much it would cost to install them, but it ought to take less than 3 hours of time. I am taking it to a renowned and inexpensive local shop to get an estimate and if it is too high I will do it myself; it is not a hard job.

I have always bought Honda (2 Accords) or Toyota (4Runner, TC), then I let my wife buy an Eclipse … granted, it had 75K on the clock when we bought it, but the shopping list so far is not good: replaced rusted rear catalytic converter assembly ($400, by self, improved model), replaced warped front rotors ($100, self, common eclipse problem), has a cracked dash (common eclipse problem), has a window problem with a Technical Service Bulletin (not recall? it is a manufacturing problem, will do by self from TSB), now needs motor mounts.

I hate having a car that has to go in the shop, it is time and money.

Fortunately, my car is a Scion TC with 100K on the clock; it has never been in the shop, except for normal service (and a wreck I had … someone deposited a wheel on the highway, thereby taking out my bumpers and exhaust system). It is strange that when I compare the Eclipse to the TC, the TC’s wheel wells, engine bay, and parts all look like new, while the Eclipse has rust in the engine bay, wear in the wells and obviously has not lasted as well as the TC; same mileage, same age. The TC’s exhaust looks great (the parts that were not replaced on collision) while the Eclipse’s exhaust is rusty.

I digress.

We have a 2006 Odyssey with about 60,000 miles. Had two rear motor mounts replaced under warranty when the car had about 30,000 miles on it; now they’re telling me a front motor mount needs to be replaced. No wrecks, no drag racing/aggressive driving (hello, it’s a minivan). Hmmm.

Same story different day. 05 Odyssey. Broken back mount. The mounts are special since they were designed for the VCM engine that came out in 05. This is the cylinders that don’t fire to save gas and such. I just paid $376.70 and that was only 40%. From what I have read most costs for this is $700. My 40% would only be $280. Why so high? If I had to pay the entire amount I would have paid $941. When they call that regional person I believe it isn’t unthinkable to say that the company could have paid 100% and they still told me 40%. They would make $1076 then. How would the consumer know. Ah, but wait. I have a few tricks up my sleeve too. I have talked with the company and explained my displeasure with the company. Also, I have never received any recalls, TSBs or anything or I would have take this in when it was under warranty. This TSB 06-083 for the motor mount was issued on Dec. 1 2006. Why didn’t I ever get one so I could have had it fixed under my warranty or had a better chance of a “Goodwill” of 100%? They don’t want you to know. Just like Toyota they issue Service bulletins. A recall does not have to be done unless safety (which is the keyword for costing the company money) is involved or the DHTSA makes them. Other than that they don’t have to let the consumer know. I will be taking this information to a legal person. Tired of getting the run around and taken advantage of especially in this economy. People are tired of this thing Honda. If you could be voted out we would do it. The Odyssey and Accord are assembled in Lincoln, AL. Many or most of the Toyotas are mfg. in Georgetown, KY. I toured the plant once. They all make great cars including Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge. The also make faulty ones. We allow “foreign” car makers, and that is where the money goes also, to get by with a lot more than we do our own people.

I’m scheduled to have 2 motor mounts replaced next week. This is the second time these mounts have broken on my 2006 Honda Odyssey. I believe Honda has a responsiblity to fix this on going problem if for nothing else than safety. My wife and I drive with our five (5( young children and hope nothing happens to endanger their lives as well as my wife and myself.

What is Honda’s response?

Yup, at 35K our 2006 touring odyssey started rumbling in eco mode. Yup, the motor mounts. Huh? All we haul is a dual bob stroller in the back cargo area and two toddlers in car seats, really? Ironically, all at the dealership were clueless and surprised by this new noise? Apparently all they had to do was do a visual inspection but instead I had to take it in twice for a drive with the tech waiting for the “noise” to be heard. Since then we have had to replace them 4 times. We are at 100K miles. Fortunately we bought the extended warrany and it has saved us big time. What a dissappointment in Honda though. Replaced numerous things, I think at this point they have a service bay reserved for this pampered and loved car. At least they finally admitted the brakes weren’t right and recalled and repaired the master cylinder. My last car lasted over 250K and was nearly 25 years old and totally abused by me and well I know have spent more on the odyssey in the past 5 years than my previous “used” car. Some say that it’s not their responsibility to after so many miles, yet the same problem keeps creeping up AND until it is a safety issue they will get away with the outrageous fees they are charging those without extended warranty. Also Honda sets the expectation of reliability, ask any Salesman about motormounts on the 2011 and I wonder if he will fess up. This odyssey was the first “new” car I ever bought and my first and last Honda. I’m going German again when we finally give up on our Odyssey, assuming we have any money left.

Went for oil change and Warranty-covered Recall for Master Cylinder replacement in my 2006 Odyssey EX. News to me that two motor mounts are broken (front and right side) and can be replaced for about $360 + tax. Along with the recommended 60,000 mile “Maintenance Minder”, it would be twice that amt. I think I’ll look into replacing them on my own, if I can get all the electronics and other parts out of the way.
The Dodge Dart (really - I had a '75 Dodge Dart Sport) was so much easier to repair.

I’ve read through most of these… Can I ask why most of you didn’t buy an extended warranty on this van?

I debated it for a millisecond when I bought my '06 Odyssey in 2007. $1200 for it and I’ve used $900 on it already with an major a/c problem.

I can’t believe all the complaining here about Honda “not offering a discount”. Well, a lesson for you all anyway. A lesson for me here too…