Honda CRV Power Accessory Socket Shorting Out

I have a 2005 Honda CRV. I bought the car in February and soon after, the fuse for the power accessory blew. Since then, the same fuse blows every month or so. I do regularly use the power accessory for my cell phone charger and GPS. I have read online that many people have issues with their Verizon phone charges with this model vehicle, but I don’t have a Verizon phone.

Last week I had my car inspected and the mechanic told me that during a test the battery wasn’t “registering” correctly. They suspected that I had recently replaced the battery, but I told them I didn’t. A few days later the car was off, but I was using my radio. Within 30 minutes the battery died and I needed a jump start. Today I had a hard time starting the car, and then the fuse for the power accessory blew. I took the car to the shop and was told my battery was almost dead. I had it replaced.

I told the mechanic about the fuse issue and he suggested that I change the power socket itself. Another person thought I might have a short in the wiring somewhere, or maybe the car wasn’t grounded correctly. Any ideas on what I should do? I’m worried that the issue might kill another battery.

I believe your mechanic is right. I would change the power socket.