Honda Accord instrument cluster replacement

My speedometer in my 2003 Honda Accord LX quit working and my mechanic said the problem lies in the instrument cluster and has to be replaced. He suggested buying a new one that is preprogrammed with the same mileage as the old, broken one. However, after researching a little on the net, I found a site that sells used instrument clusters at a fraction of the cost estimated by my mechanic. There seems to be some discrepancy as to whether the replacement instrument cluster will automatically display the old odometer reading? I would like to keep the same odometer reading as the broken one because it is quite low. My main question is will the replacement display my odometer reading from the car’s computer or will it display the higher reading that the replacement has in its memory?

The used one will have the mileage from the vehicle it came from in all likelyhood. If a new one can be reprogrammed then a used one can be as well. Finding a shop that can do the reprogramming may take a little searching.

" I found a site that sells used instrument clusters at a fraction of the cost estimated by my mechanic."

Ask THESE people, the sellers, your question…

Check your local telephone directory and see if there’s a speedometer repair shop in your area. Perhaps the speedometer can be repaired rather than replaced.