Honda Accord 98 model cranks but won’t start. Cuts current after starting it. No current from the distributor

Nice to be here. I have a Honda Accord Ex parked for days now. It cranks but won’t start. I have tried everything I know yet it won’t start. I recently noticed current doesn’t flow from the distributor to the plug. Car started today, but cuts current again then keep cranking without starting.

Kindly help!

If the ignition switch is bad, it could mean no power to the distributor. If the distributor is bad (worn shaft bearing, electrical failure of the pickup coil or igniter), it could mean no spark at the plugs. Both can fail intermittently, and both failures were not uncommon in older Hondas of that era.

If you allow the car for some days and try to start it again, it would start and then cut current and won’t start again.

I owned an Accord of this vintage. They were known for distributors that failed. Mine did. I bought a new one online and replaced it. I never had an issue with ignition again.

1 Like

I would have to agree with @bloody_knuckles one of the most common items swapped out is the distributor. Whether that be because of coil failure or ignitor failure…its a common thing to hear being done. Those who dont want to troubleshoot down to component level to find the source of the issue usually go with another distributor. Its actually the cost effective move with these as the new unit costs less than fixing the old one usually.

The other item that is commonly replaced is the Pgm/Fi (or main) relay…but when this is the culprit you have a fueling problem…not a spark issue. Another thing to check is the security system…make sure you dont have one that is doing this to you on purpose.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Call the Honda dealer near you and provide the VIN to them.
These cars are under a Recall for faulty switches. They will tell you quickly whether or not you are covered. If you are it’s a freebie.

If the Recall has been performed in the past then you’re out of luck on the free part.

Not a bad idea to check ALL fuses either as there are multiple fuses involved in the engine operation.