Honda Accord randomly dies

My daughter drives a 1999 Honda Accord, which has over 200,000 miles on it. For the last year it occasionally dies while driving. Sometimes it is difficult to restart; sometimes it starts right away. I’ve taken it to my mechanic twice. The first time he replaced the oxygen sensor, which didn’t fix the problem. The second time he couldn’t find anything wrong. The problem continues. He states he has heard about problems with the distributor in Honda Accords and wonders if this might be causing the problem.

This could be caused by any one of a number of problems. You should consider finding someone else to service the car because an O2 sensor (the world’s biggest whipping boy for any automotive ill) will not cause this at all.

The most obvious possibilities would be:
Distributor.
Main relay.
Fuel pump.
Ignition switch. (electrical part)

You might check with the Honda dealer about the ignition switch. Many Hondas of this era were under a Recall for faulty switches. If this Recall has not been performed at this point the switch can be replaced free of charge to you.
If it’s NOT under a Recall the switch could still be faulty as many vehicles suffer the same problem due to the same part. There are politics involved in Recalls and the car makers do their best to keep the VIN range limited.

My son has a 1999 Honda and it was a part of that recall for the ignition switch.