History of Automobiles

I am a senior in high school and I need to write a research paper. I would like to know what do you consider writing about the history of automobiles. Can you give me some topics

See your previous thread: http://community.cartalk.com/posts/list/2225601.page

WOW…I am soooo glad you posted the link to our previous answers!

I’d focus on Henry Ford’s innovations to create the assembly line but also the decision to pay his workers a high enough wage to be able to afford the product they were making.

This was not an original idea on Ford’s part. Look up bicycle economics. And it was not anything egalitarian. Ford needed to keep the core of his factory intact. At the time, this was the braintrust of the future.

Ford made the modern automobile accessible to the masses. How that was accomplished should be at least a topic.

No!

I’d focus on Henry Ford’s innovations to create the assembly line but also the decision to pay his workers a high enough wage to be able to afford the product they were making.

This was not an original idea on Ford’s part.

It not only wasn’t an original idea, it wasn’t Fords idea. Henry Ford had to be convinced to raise the wages of his workers. He fought it tooth and nail, and then after it happened, he saw the benefit and magnanimously admitted it was a good idea. What a guy!

You received our ideas last time.
You still haven’t started your writing ???

DUDE !

Gee–It’s ONLY been a month since he last asked the question!
You should be aware that a month is equivalent to minutes in the mind of an adolescent.

The paper is probably not due for another 24 hours or so, thus leaving lots of time to form a thesis, get it approved, do the research, do a rough draft of the paper, and then refine the paper for submission.

Another tip for Asoto–make sure that you don’t check the printer cartridge until about 1:00AM or so on the night before the paper is due. Printer cartridges never run out of ink when the stores are closed!
(heavy sarcasm intentional)

Yes, I am a retired teacher/counselor, and I have seen this type of procrastination…probably thousands of times.

I’m guessing he’s hoping to get enough responses to cut 'n paste into a paper…of sorts…

…and speaking of “cut and paste” research papers, I still vividly recall one of the easiest papers to grade that was ever submitted to me. All I had to do was to read the first sentence in order to place a large red “F” on the cover sheet.

Are you ready for the first sentence?
It was:

As we stated in this book’s preceding chapter…

You just can’t make up stuff like this.

When IC, XC, and electric motors were developed to the point they could be installed in wooden wagons, they WERE! The “automobile” was born! Crude, self-propelled vehicles…Gasoline, steam or electric powered…When sustained speeds of 30MPH or more were realized, the horse-drawn conveyance was doomed…Henry Fords Tin Lizzie’s were Chapter Two…The development of the Electric Starter nailed the lid on the horse-drawn vehicle…

Once women were able to start a car, and found it easier than hitching up a horse, the car had really arrived.

VDC DRIVER…I LOVE YOUR ADVICE…Man I’ve been there before…hate to admit…but I used to burn the Midnite Oil a lot in my High School days especially to do the paper that the rest of the grade spent the entire half of the year preparing…LOL…I would ALWAYS…do it the last second… Good thing I sort of have half a brain bec I never got lower than a B on my papers. This was in the days of actually having to DO YOUR OWN WORK…No Computers as we know them today…No internet…HELL…no printers. I was happy to be able to use an old word processor that would let you see what you typed I believe it was a few words long…or maybe the screen fit an entire sentence…so you could fix your typos before the print head laid the type down on the paper.

YEAH SERIOUSLY ASOTO…WHAT did you do with ALL of those ideas we threw at you? I gave you at least 4 or 5 that you could do something with…and these other guys drowned you in ideas. You seem to be gunning for a big fat F because we all know you didnt do any of this paper yet…I believe the first time round was the “History of the stick shift”? Which we promptly 86’ed…WHat are you going to choose as a topic for this paper?..or rather WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO START BRO? I thought I was bad…

Benz
Otto
Cugnot
Ford
R. E. Olds
Now get on the Net and get started!

ShiftKicker