Help! I want to keep my '88 Dodge Raider

Hello,

I have a bright blue 1988 Dodge Raider that has a lot of sentimental value to me (plus, it’s a pretty fun truck). I recently bought a house door at the hardware store and loaded it into the Raider. When I slammed the door shut…the back windshield popped out! I caught it, so the glass didn’t break, but I don’t know how to repair it.

I called Safelight. When the mechanic came out to do the work, he said the gasket had disintegrated. They called Dodge, and they don’t make the part anymore. I’ve got to assume if I find one in a junk yard, it’s not going to be in any better shape.

Any ideas on where to start? I’d rather sink a few dollars into the Raider (which runs perfectly fine) than buy a new truck.

Thank you so much for any direction you can point me to!

Patty

Try the Mitsubishi dealer. This truck is just a rebadged short wheel base Montero.

The easiest fix would be to find a entire rear tailgate assembly at a junk yard and switch the entire door. I believe your truck is identical to the Mitsubishi Montero, you might want to check online to see if anyone sells aftermarket glass that works on both models. These trucks were sold all over the world, you might be able to order one online from a source in another country.

Great advice, GreasyJack and TXdealer. I’ll poke around a bit and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Patty

I just found one on Ebay for $45. Looks to be in good shape. Here is the ebay item number. 250433612478