Toyota 2010 Rav 4 windshield

I bought a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 in Jan 2010. Yesterday 5/8/2010, I developed a 12 inch crack in my windshield. Questions: Is this covered by my warranty? Can it by repaired or should the windshield be replaced? If replacement is needed should it be a Toyota windshield done by the dealer?

A 12" crack cannot be repaired.
Ask the dealer about YOUR warranty.
Different levels of warranty exist and will be relative to what you bought.
Then they’ll need to assess why it’s cracked.
Then decide if warranty pays. ( most windshields are not because road debris is the usual culprit )

If not warranty maybe insurance ?

If it’s a cash job it does not need done by the dealer but can be.

It needs replacing. It should be covered by the warranty, but you’ll need to compare the warranty limits and coverage with your vehicle’s current mileage.

If you’re out of warranty, any auto glass replacement shop can change it.

Check your insurance, my insurance company in NJ repaired the windshield chargin the Comprehensive deductible. In my case, Comprehensive was $100 vs. Collision at $500.

Ed B.

My Toyota windshield has a sunscreen around the mirror. If it is not under warranty and I do not go to the dealer for replacement, do you know if a replacement windshield will be the same? Can I be firm about replacing it with a genuine Toyota windshield?
Thanks for your reply and help.
Woody

My Toyota windshield has a sunscreen around the mirror. If it is not under warranty and I do not go to the dealer for replacement, do you know if a replacement windshield will be the same? Can I be firm about replacing it with a genuine Toyota windshield?
Thanks for your reply and help.
Woody

Thanks for your reply

That “sunscreen” is actually a bonding area for the mirror. You’ll see the same black around teh window’s outside edge. It’s actually a special plastic coating bonded to the glass to protect the windshield and mirror adhesives from deterioration from the sun’s UV rays.

The new windshield should have this area also. Ask the replacement company before they start the work if you’d like to be sure.

There will be no problems with an aftermarket widshield.
They are model specific built to fit your truck exactly.

And it’s possible that they all come out of the same factory anyway.

Check with your insurance company- mine (State Farm) has no deductible for window glass and you can get it replaced anyplace you want. Don’t assume your dealer uses Toyota glass- ask. There is sometimes a lot of difference in glass quality between companies.

I Have Had Windshields Replaced Under My Zero Deductible Comprehensive Insurance. I Have Had It Done By An Auto Glass Company And They Have Used Factory Glass At My Request.

I see that there have been complaints about the windshields on these vehicles (Toyota Rav-4, at least through 2008) making noise because of clips used in their installation at the factory. It makes me wonder if some of these have glass that is under stress.

If the crack originates at the edge and it’s denied by warranty, I’d get a second or third opinion from an auto glass company.

CSA

Thanks for the info.
Woody

As long as you do not have rain sensitive automatic wipers an aftermarket glass would be fine. The black area around the edges keep uv rays from harming the adhesive just as mountain bike said but it also hides the unattractive glue squish from view. It has a specific name but it eludes me now. The black dotted edge simply provides a transition from black to glass so it would be easy on the eyes.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Woody

Don’t forget to check with your insurance company. They have an interest in you having good glass. Bad glass is an increased risk for the insurance company. The windshield is a safety device. It helps keep you inside the car in the event of an accident and you are safer there.

My insurance has replace the windscreen twice on my car. No charge, the vender they had came out to my home, it was completed on the spot. (BTW both windows had suffered road hazard damage)