Have you seen any rare or uncommon cars on the road recently?

The worst I’ve seen in the past eternity was a few months back. Someone, for some unexplicable reason, decided to modify one of those 80s era FWD New Yorkers. The downsized squared off model.

They had chopped the back out of it and moved the trunk up to near the front seats; making it a very short wheelbase car. Vinyl roof with opera windows at the back of the front seats and slicks on the back which kind of defeats the purpose of traction. This thing was just nauseating to look at and I have no idea what the creator of this abomination was thinking. At the point I saw it the car still had patches of Bondo and primer where they were working the kinks out of it.

There’s a Suzuki Jimny on the next street over that’s RHD and is one of the Japanese market Turbocharged models. Also a Nissan Skyline R32 Sedan keeps showing up around town. Same color as this one.

About 4 or so years ago I happened to see a Geronimo car on a street here. Those were produced locally from 1917 to 1920 and things were going well into the new plant they put up caught on fire. There was 250k of damage and insurance only covered 65 so that was the end of them. Expensive cars for the time at 900 to 1300 dollars and eventually hitting nearly 2 grand. A boatload of money for post WWI.

That particular car is the only surviving vehicle out of the ones they produced. It was discovered in a field in KS back in 1972 with a tree growing in it and was brought back here and restored. Named after the Indian leader who was imprisoned and died at Fort Sill, OK.

1 Like

Saw a ‘65 Mustang the other day. I suspect some kid snuck out in his parents’ classic, because it was a nice day but the roads are covered in salt. You’d never catch me driving my old rust-free cars in that.

Yeah, but the seemingly 3-million '57 Chevys gets boring after awhile. :wink:

4 Likes

Might be 3.5 million out there now that you can buy complete reproduction bodies along with repo trim.

A twist on the old line…There were only 254 fuel injected 57 Chevys ever built… but only 400 survive today!

7 Likes

Can’t really say unusual, but with the nice weather Sunday saw a couple of rods out and about. One very nice deuce coupe.

I think there are more Hemi Cudas now than were ever built by Plymouth.

1 Like

Not so much recently due to the pandemic but a patron at the restaurant I frequent has a '60s Triumph TR6.

One of my cousins has a 1950s TR3 that used to be the daily driver and in more recent years is a hobby car that gets frequent use for fun drives in good weather.

Back in July, I saw a car I hadn’t even heard of until someone commented on my FB pictures- A McLaren Ayrton

I believe you meant Mclaren Senna which is must have been amazing.

I took a couple pictures of it

1 Like

Very neat. Must be a real fan to get those plates for his Senna.

1 Like