Gremlins in my vehicle

I think that I have gremlins in my 1999 Chevrolet Blazer. First the clicking sound from the turn signal indicator would not stop for a while after the turn signal turned off. Then the remote would not work on the second click when trying to unlock the doors after the drivers door. Then it would not work to unlock other doors, but would lock them. Then the drivers window would not go down. These things come and go. Right now they are all working, but I know that soon one of them with fail me.

My question is: do I need a mechanic or an exorcist?

Owning a 2000 Blazer myself, I would say go with an exorcist.

The clicking is due to the multifunction switch (turn signal, wipers, cruise, etc). It’s a known problem with GMs of this vintage. Try spraying some CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner into the base of the switch at the steering column to clean the contacts. I ended up having to replace the multifunction switch on my Blazer. The part was ~$200 and I installed the part. There’s probably a couple of hours of labor involved, ~$500 total would be my guess for the repair.

The NHSTA web site has directions under the Documents link in the Recall database section. Do a search on 2000 Blazer.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallsearch.cfm

My remotes act up occasionally, try locking the door first, then hit the unlock button. Also, how old are the batteries in the fob and has the fob been synchronized (see Owners Manual)?

The window switches pop out of the driver’s door handle, hopefully some contact cleaner sprayed on the connector and back of the switches will help.

Good luck,

Ed B.

Thanks. I guess that I will just put up with the clicking. I’m used to it and it doesn’t bother me, although my passengers sometimes get concerned.