Got a stripped nut any ideas how to get it out?

I am trying to get. Started out of a 2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT v6 but the size 14 nut is completely stripped and I don’t have any ideas on how to get it off. Theres also almost no room to get anything into the area. Barely enough room forbabdeep well socket.

Kinda looks like you’ve buggered the wrench flats a bit. and it looks dry. Spray that thing down with a good penetrating oil to start. I like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster

Make sure you use a 6 point socket as a 12 point is going to strip. If you have an impact wrench, use that with as few extensions as possible while pushing hard on the wrench so it doesn’t cam off the nut.

Failing that, an oxy acetylene torch can be used to heat the nut to a dull cherry color. Should spin right off with that. Good Luck

1 Like

These sockets are just slightly smaller than normal sockets, and have cut/grip surfaces on the inside. They’re designed to snag rounded bolts/nuts and turn them - but you’re gonna need to follow @Mustangman’s advice too - the part about spraying it with penetrating oil and torching it, because if the nut is too seized on there you’ll just end up messing up the extractor socket.

2 Likes

That nut looks more like a bolt in the photo I’m receiving.
CSA

@common_sense_answer’s comment prompted my to take a closer look. Is it possible that the “washer” I see under that nut (I still think its a nut) is not completely round? Is it tear shaped? If it IS tear shaped, it that a tab turned down on the upper right? If that tab goes into a hole, it it meant to hold the nut stationary while you turn the BOLT from the other side!

Been trying not to destroy the but but don’t have much tools to work with and no money to get or rent them. Nd the few friends with a shop can’t let me into the shop without a small charge.

Shadow suggested what I was going to.
Do you have friends that work on cars? Perhaps one of them has the extractor set.
If you’re going to do your own work, you’re gonna have to bite the bullet on occasion and buy a tool. The only alternative is to simply not do the job that you’d hoped to do and leave things as-is.

2 Likes

Which is far better than destroying things getting it apart or getting it halfway apart and not be able to get it back together.

1 Like

I agree. :grin:

I’ll see what I can figure out with what you guys have suggested. Thanks much, I’ll let you all know what’s going on and if I can figure it out soon as I can.

What does that nut hold in place?

Maybe one of your friends could take a Dremel tool or die grinder and whittle the nut away to the point it would break loose easily.
Maybe they would do this for 5-10 bucks and you could drive the car home to finish the job.

a Pair of nut splitters is $15 at amazon, though if you do the pbblaster or other solvent and can get a small pipe wrench on it that would be my first stab at the cat.

If I had that problem I’d take it to the local auto machine shop and get their opinion. They have special tools and know-how & could probably solve that problem in a jiffy for not much $$.

Concur w/ @Barkydog for a diyer job, a nut splitter tool would probably get the job done pronto. Sears used sell them for not much $$$. That tool comes in handy quite often, I used mine recently on a plumbing problem, so it’s a pretty good tool to have on hand since it is so frugally priced.

hmmm … what else? If the bolt just slips through a hole (not threaded) and can be removed from either side you could cut the head off the bolt on the other side with a dremmel tool or just a short hack saw blade and patience, then pull the whole thing out from the nut side, or visa versa. That nut looks too damaged and damaged in an asymmetrical way, to bother with a bolt extractor socket imo.

There’s a thread here from several years ago you can probably find using the search feature which had all sort of ideas or removing stuck nuts and bolts. Search for a thread on stuck bolts or something like that.

Worse case you’ll have to remove the stuff that’s in the way.

That is an excellent idea.
My impression from the OP’s description is that there’s no room for a splitter, but the extractor set that shadow suggested is only $24.99 anyway… and HF always has a 20% coupon available… and a free trinket with any purchase.

A faucet wrench might get the job done

Hiring a machine shop doesn’t seem to be in the budget.

Harbor Freight has rotary cutting tool kits, one for $10 and a better one for $25, cut the nut in half.

There was a question on this forum many years ago which asked, “What is your favorite tool that you cannot do without?” or something like that.

My answer was a Dremel tool simply because it’s compact and has gotten me out of many tight spots similar to this.

I just used mine today, fixing my tv antenna … lol …

I hate to ask, but being curious, why are you removing the starter?
Have you diagnosed it as needing replacement?
How have you reached that positive conclusion?
CSA

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the use of an ever so slightly smaller 12 point deep socket. You can hammer one of those onto a buggered up nut (or bolt) and then you have the same effect as a good 6 point on a good nut. Of course, you discard the nut (bolt) afterwards, but you can get it off using this technique.

I even have a chart that lists - in order - the actual dimensions of metric and English units so I know what size is the next step down (or up).

2 Likes