How to remove stripped torx bolt?

I’m trying to remove my car door latch and it is held on by three T30 torx bolts. I got two of them out but the last one is stripped or something. When I put my torx bit on it and turn it, there is some space on the head (near edges) so it doesn’t really turn the bolt. It keeps falling out, if you know what I mean?

Can I use something like JBweld metal epoxy and glue the torx bit to the torx bolt head, then unscrew it? or use a dremel? Never used a dremel before so not sure how it works. Or maybe use a drill and drill a hole in the middle and pull it out?

or use a hammer to push in a T35 bolt so it fills up all the sides?

My stripped bolt head extractor set has got me out of more jams that I can count.

Tester

2 Likes

Drill into the screw head with a 1/4" drill bit, the head will come off the screw in about 60 seconds.

1 Like

And leave the sheared off bolt in the hole.

Tester

I think the JB Weld idea would work. Let it harden for a few days first. If waiting that long is too inconvenient, drilling the screw out, or removing the head and pushing the rest out, would work, but might damage the hole’s threads. New hole threads can be made of course. But I think what I’d do is file (or dremmel) flats on the outside head surface, then use a socket/wrench/pliers to try to twist it out. The rounded bolt-head removal tool is a good idea too. A set like that can be purchased for not much $$$ at Harbor Freight I think. If you are looking for a reason to do a chemistry experiment, JB Weld. If you are looking for a reason to purcahse another tool, socket set for rounded bolts. If you want to play dentist , Dremmel … lol …

1 Like

Is it a bolt or a screw?
Capture

All the door latches I’ve worked on were held in with counter sunk screws.

2 Likes

If you use a left hand drill bit, the stub will likely come out, too.

3 Likes

If it is on the latch I suspect it is a round head or flat head screw, not knowing what latch means. If it is a round head, you might be able to pound one of those extractors like tester has to get a grip on it. If flat head or alternative, you can drill into the center and use an extractor. They have been known to break off though making further drilling pretty difficult. If round a dremil could cut a slot or make a couple flats to grab onto with a wrench. Might even try a chisel trying to turn it enough to loosen it. Most times we try one thing after another trying to find something that work. Final try is to weld a nut on top but if you can’t use a dremil doubt you have a welder handy.

Edit: or try to get a left hand drill bit and start drilling it out.

1 Like

Sounds like a big project, would anyone go through that much trouble to save a damaged bolt?

After drilling the head from the bolt, the bolt can be removed using a locking jaw pliers, after the latch is removed from the door.

However, a new latch comes with new holes.

2 Likes

If a small screw , I’ve used a dremmel to make a deep slot on the head, then removed the screw with a blade-type screwdriver.

You could try an impact driver, just be careful not to damage the door…

If I couldn’t get a bite on the bolt/screw, then I would use a left handed drill bit, the bit will most likely catch/grab the screw and turn it out… as stated above…

1 Like

Hard to do on a counter sunk screw without cutting the door…

It depends where the threaded hole is located. If part of the car, OP would prefer to avoid damaging that hole. If threaded hole is part of the latch, then no worries about damaging the bolt.

I’m usually leery of Harbor Freight’s quality, but this set did the trick for me on a tough broken bolt just a few days ago.

1 Like

Tester

I was wondering where they’d have left hand drill bits.

I’d suggest posting a picture of the fastener head so people can give more specific advice.

Once you experience breaking off, or worse yet, shattering an EZ-Out, you look at them in a different light from that point forward. :grimacing:

Is there something in the bolt that keeps the torx bit from going down all the way? It’s hard to strip a torx bolt when the bit is pushed in properly and it is the right size.

I forgot to add some pictures yesterday. I think it is a round head torx screw. I’m trying to change the door latch and this last torx screw is the only thing holding it in. I got the other 2 screws out. The problem is that when I put torx bit/socket on it and try to unscrew it by turning it, my torx bit/socket keeps falling out because there is some space near the edges of the torx head so my torx bit doesn’t fill up all the space. In other words, the torx screw head became too big for my T 30 torx bit/socket. I could use a T35 but I would have to use a hammer to push it in.

I tried to put some epoxy putty to fill up the extra space but it didn’t work. I will try some of the methods in this thread. I am changing the door latch so don’t really care if I damage the latch. Just trying not to damage the door.

top screw

IMG_2818 (1)
IMG_2819 (1)
IMG_2820

Tap on one of the extractors in the kit I showed and the screw will come out.

Tester