'God, Guns and Freedom' (Oh, and a new Ford!)

All car dealerships by definition are local businesses hiring local people. It’s kinda difficult to outsource a salesgoober job to another country. :wink:

They don’t have to hand out guns to make that point. Frankly, handing out guns in the era of such common mass shootings that we hardly even notice when they’re reported on CNN anymore is pretty tone deaf on the part of a business that’s supposed to be dealing cars, not weapons.

4 Likes

Some reality on which vehicles are the most “American”:

:thinking:

1 Like

I’m always kind of amused, in a sad sort of way, when people talk about buying American and then go get a Chrysler. Uh… That’s an Italian car…

2 Likes

He always needs things explained to him.

2 Likes

Perhaps the most bizarre example is the Jeep Renegade, which is made in Italy, on a Fiat 500 platform, and with mostly Italian-made parts. Yet, a whole lot of 'Muricans think that it is an “American” vehicle.
I have to snicker a bit every time my neighbor drives past in his Jeep Renegade, while wearing his MAGA hat.
:smirk:

3 Likes

My current Toyota Camry was assembled in the U.S. with 80% U.S. made parts. My previous Chevy Impala was assembled in Canada with between 40-60% foreign made parts.

Oh you pun. New, old, or both? And the thing is the Catholic version has several more books than the protestant version, so I’d want to know which one I was getting. I don’t think I’ve got room in my locker though for one more 12 gauge but hey, just like power saws, you can’t have too many. We’re gonna get shut down boys.

not quite the same circumstance, but definatley a gimmick used to sell stuff. :slight_smile:

I’d rather have a free gun and bible than a “free vacation” (time share sales pitch) when buying a new car.

Unfortunately, I only got the time share pitch. Years ago- when my mother bought a new car.

It’s a sales gimmick. But, hey. I like God, and guns, in my opinion, are a necessary evil, unfortunately.

1 Like

I’m not a gun “fan”. But you do have to wonder if we’d have more or less mass shootings if everyone was armed.

The shootings would at least be shorter in duration.

I honestly don’t like guns. I’ve never been 100% comfortable with them. They’re loud, and they’re dangerous. I feel similar about chain saws. But I’ve used both quite a bit. It’s sort of a “cats out of the bag” situation in my opinion. Outlaw guns, and outlaws have guns. Sort of like prohibition worked.

1 Like

We used to have that in pioneering times. Who’s right? Whoever wins the gunfight. It was a bad idea then, and it’s a bad idea now. Anarchy at it’s finest. No thanks.

1 Like

I like guns and chainsaws. The chainsaw doesn’t scare me. It is the tree if it gets hung up on another tree or something. I have had more scares with trees than the chainsaw itself.

I got a new electric chainsaw and it is amazing. It is very quiet and powerful plus there are no fumes to stink you out. I use it more than my gas saws.

It is the same with guns. People are the problem, not the guns. I mean drugs and car crashes kill more people than guns. People are just dumb and it seems to be getting worse. It is like they left half their brain at home when they started driving. Just observe any roundabout and you are left shaking your head. I would be all for them if people could use them. Again, it isn’t the roundabout. It is the driver.

1 Like

It’s a shame that car dealers find more success with playing games than offering honest value. And my history with guns is similar to my vehicles. In the mid 90s guns lost the glitter that had kept the market hot for several years and I bought some great bargains and occasionally used a couple at a hunting camp I belonged to but age got to me and in the past couple of years I sold all the really popular rifles and pistols for 5 to 10 times what I paid for them and I’ll likely sell all the rest of the firearms I have accumulated over the years soon. I’m tired of cleaning them. And Miss Carolyn, I bought a 1972 Bronco for $2,000 back in the 80s and sold it for $5,500 several years ago. Buying high and trading in upside down is an easy way to get poor and I can’t afford to be poor.

1 Like

I still don’t know WHAT the bible has to do with being American.

The point I was making and Shadowfax expounded on. People think - oh look I’m buying a new truck and they’re giving me a Bible, Flag and a shot-gun. Look how American I am. If you’re a true American…you don’t NEED a bible or gun and you probably already own a flag. If you think these items are symbolic of being American I suggest you read the constitution sometime.

2 Likes

Vegas proved that wrong. The social media star who’s online fame was based entirely on his tough-guy image (he liked to say his biggest fear about a home invasion was that he wouldn’t be able to decide what gun to shoot them with) ran away with everyone else.

The only people running toward the danger were the cops, and they’re trained to do it. I personally don’t want untrained terrified people with guns shooting at anything that moves. Mass shootings aren’t generally carried out by rational people who carefully consider consequences, which means that even if everyone around were likely to have a gun, the lunatics would probably still open fire, and then you’d have a bunch of untrained people firing wildly back, not considering the sight picture and what’s behind their target, and even more people would get killed.

Regardless, this dealership is not trying to make the country safe by arming everyone. They’re pulling off a stupid publicity stunt and handing out weapons to people with no way of knowing if they’re mentally sound enough to be trusted with them. It’s appalling.

5 Likes

I know many people who carry, and it scares the hell out of me that they do. They have ZERO training in an active shooter situation (99.99999% of people who own guns don’t have that training either). I’m thoroughly convinced that MORE people would be dead…NOT LESS. I know more then one person that if they came across an active situation and decided to help, the only people left standing would be White people because in their eyes everyone of color is a threat. And based on trumpy rallies there are way too many of this type of person, and many now feel empowered because of trumpy.

4 Likes

You don’t seriously believe they are actually handing a weapon to someone at the time of the sale do you?

From the article:

When you purchase a car, you get the Bible and the flag. You’re also given a certificate that can be taken to a certified firearms dealer in town or to one in Mississippi that has partnered with the dealership

2 Likes

Even among those with the best of training and a great deal of discipline friendly(?) fire is way more common and deadly than we are led to believe. And the weapons that are currently popular are certainly the worst possible firearms to put in the hands of the untrained and undisciplined. More and more a concealed carry permit and all the military assault style carbines are status symbols that are obviously causing a great deal of unintended carnage. I hope that soon the filter on reporting firearm ‘accidents’ and ‘unintended consequences’ will be eliminated so everyone can see the result of all the guns we have scattered around the country. Of course that Alabama Ford dealer seems to be giving away a pump shotgun, which is a really great sporting firearm, so maybe the owner used some good sense in putting his marketing promotion together.

This seems to be straying a bit. And careful when saying that people should check the Constitution before saying that guns and bibles are American. The Constitution doesn’t say anything about kombucha and yoga mats. It doesn’t make people less American for liking them or finding them emblematic of their experience. So basically, please don’t talk about people who disagree with you as being less American than you are. Please remain respectful of your colleagues.

4 Likes

I doubt they’re handing out guns to anyone that buys a vehicle without going through the legalities. One of those “fine print” things.

Agree that it’s just a publicity stunt and a way to draw people in. Like most other dealership shenanigans.

Disagree that you’re safer if the public is unarmed in the case of a mass shooting. And I disagree that school shootings (for example) would be as likely to happen with armed security guards, an armed teacher, or principle (someone armed needs to be available). Nobody is going to shoot up an NRA rally, right? Lol. At least not very successfully.

2 Likes