Keiffe Ford in Mojave Bigotry

Been a while since I posted here. I ran across this as my favorite science blog:

“But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Keiffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don’t tell the other 14% to sit down and shut up. I guess maybe I just offended 14% of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that’s tough, this is America folks, it’s called free speech. None of us at Keiffe & Sons Ford are afraid to speak out. Keiffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don’t see you today, by the grace of God, we’ll be here tomorrow.”

Would you buy a car from these people?

http://sci…l_cars.php

Sicking, if you ask me. And I own a Ford.

To be fair, they agree with a large majority of Americans, and religion is quite important to many people, so appealing to that aspect, I think, is a clever marketing move. Will it work, I don’t know, but I am certain that there are a good many people out there who agree that the 14% should be told to sit down and shut up. And they’re right - it is free speech.

But, why is it on a science blog?

While I don’t like the “sit down and shut up” bit (not a very Christian-like attitude), why is it that every other religion is protected and tolerated (be accepting of and respect the Buddists, and don’t even think about saying the wrong thing about Muslims or Islam)… while Christianity is frequently ridiculed and, in fact, told to sit down and shut up and always an open target in TV and the movies?

It’s kinda like how you can say whatever you want about the white male, but you better not joke about any other gender/race combo out there. This is the politically correct (what an oxymoron) society we live in today.

It is just not smart for a business to take a public stand on anything that leads to controversy, be it in connection with politics, religion, or…

Near my home, one business owner posted some outrageously offensive political signs during the last presidential election campaign, and as result, I have resolved never to do business with him again. Is it this business owner’s right to post huge signs boasting of his political affiliations and making outrageous statements about those whom he opposes? Yes, absolutely. Is it my right to decide where to spend my money, again, yes.

If I lived in the area served by this Ford dealership, I would definitely avoid them as well, and that has nothing to do with my opinions on Christianity. It simply is a situation of making me, as a consumer, wonder about how equitably this business will treat those whom it perceives to be “different”, or not of their philosophy. And, once you raise doubts about your business, you are courting business problems, IMHO.

If you want to be successful in a competitive business environment, it is just not smart to make public pronouncements that will offend any segment of the population or to raise doubts about that business in the minds of others.

In other words, stick to business and let the religious leaders tend to religion, let the politicians stick to politics, etc. The business owner has every right to believe whatever he wants to believe, but it is just not smart to advertise it.

"But did you know that 86% of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God,

Not all people who believe in god are christians. Another example of their uneducated, narrow view of religion.

I lived in the Bible Belt for a couple of years. It’s amazing how many COMPANIES used “Christian” advertising to sell their products…From Hair Cuts to Body shops to Audio Stores. And I was also amazed how many people ONLY did business with other “Christians”.

So will that advertising work??? Maybe!!!

You also have to ask…are they more HONEST…Or just praying on people of faith???

The words of Rev. Martin Neimoller come to mind. Reverend Neimoller lived in Germany during the rise of the Nazis and he experienced what happens when one group places themselves in a position superior to that of others.

Failure to recognize what is happening in your country can ultimately be very destructive, as the good Reverend found out. Below is a famous quotation from Rev. Neimoller, who survived the war and who later went on to become the head of the World Council of Churches:

[b]"In Germany, they first came for the Communists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.
Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Trade Unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."[/b]

Pitting one group in your country against other groups in your country is very unwise, and it flies in the face of the true spirit of liberty and democracy, IMHO. You couldn’t pay me to do business with that Ford dealership.

Right on! And well said.

I don’t have a problem at all with religinion unless it becomes pushy. If God was being used for one second to sell me a car I’d advise them God’s name is not on the contract. If it continued I’d be gone.

Also agree with MikeinNH that God is simply used as a marketing tool.
We had a gentleman here (well known college football player, friend of the powers that be, etc.) who ran a roofing/siding company and advertised constantly on TV with the Christian logos, smiling family in the ads, etc.
He is now defunct because of one too many shortchanged customer, outright fraud, and one too many lawsuit.
His public record regarding his business dealings is pretty lengthy to say the least.

Many years ago I worked for a family owned Nissan dealer. The entire lot, including the brother in law (Gen. Manager) and another brother in law (Sales Manager) were all deeply religious, although this was not pushed at work.
They were all members of the largest church in town and come the weekend it did not make one whit if a promised car could not be delivered to a non-church member. The make ready guys priority was making sure all of their demos were spic and span for the church lot on Sunday.

They preliminarily sold a lot of vehicles on Sundays after the sermons were over. It kind of helped having a little church pull (donation was larger) that allowed them to park the demos closer to the door…

So many other places to disscuss religon. In my opinion lets try to keep it out of this blog

Heh, I like the unintentional pun, Mike. Praying instead of preying. :slight_smile:

I don’t mind a bit of militant christianity (the kind of christians that stand up, roll up the shirt sleeves and don’t act like painty waists) but the sit down and shut up on an ad is over the top. On the other hand if a muslum said this I doubt if the poster would have said anything.
Folks, remember this…this guy may be religous but not a christian, there is a difference.

Not all people who believe in god are christians. Another example of their uneducated, narrow view of religion. SO TRUE.

And I own a Ford. Big deal!!! What does that have to do with anything? (nothing)