Gas tank leaks when gas is put in too fast

My parents have dumped a Ford E150 Explorer van on me to fix for them. Whenever they put gas in it too fast or fill it up more than about 2/3rds of the way full, it leaks near the back of the tank. I believed that it may have been the Charcoal Cylinder, but that theory was not correct. I really don’t want to drop the tank, but that is my next step. I don’t think that it is a hole, because it only leaks under certain conditions. Any ideas?

Filling up more than 2/3rds and leaking gas indicates a hole to me. You may not have to drop the tank, find the leak, rub some bar soap on it for a temporary stp leak if it is not under the strap. Find where it is leaking from and let us know. ps a lighter is not a good light source in this situation :slight_smile:

There is a hole in the system somewhere, and it’s dangerous. Find it and fix it. This may indeed involve dropping the tank AND THE FILLER-NECK and replacing the damaged, worn, corroded parts. How OLD is this van??

It’s not that old, I believe late 90’s. I don’t think it’s a hole in the tank because even with very little gas in the tank, something leaks when putting gas in too fast. I don’t know much about it though.