1995 Dodge Viper Gas Leak

Hey all,
I bought a 95 Venom 550 Viper that has been in a barn forever. 18K original miles. The dealer dropped the tank and cleaned the lines and plugs. Now im leaking gas from the rear of the vehicle when the tank is full. Obviously there is a problem from him dropping the tank. My concern is how much risk is there with me driving it about 15 miles to the dealership knowing the gas tank is behind my back…

Suggestions?

Have it towed. Can you see if the filler or vent hose is correctly installed? There may be rust though around the make filler tube. You’d think they’ve seen that though.

Can you siphon most of the fuel out of the tank before you drive it? Or just have it delivered to the dealer on a flatbed…

Don’t fill the tank.

This is an obdI vehicle so the computer doesn’t monitor for vapor leaks.

Drive the vehicle directly where you want it to be serviced.

This is one of the drawbacks of a barn find. Rusted out gas tank.

Tester

Might also have a rotten fuel tank sender seal. That wouldn’t make itself known until you have a full tank

Also check that the filler pipe/hose are in good shape

I think it’s premature to be blaming the dealer’s having dropped the tank for the leak, however if you believe that’s true the best thing to do is bring it back and let him look at it. If it was his fault, he should repair it free of charge. I’ve never seen a shop that didn’t have a workmanship warranty.

If it’s only doing this when full maybe there’s a way you could siphon some fuel out or run some out by tying into a fuel pressure test port and jumping the fuel pump relay.

Sometimes siphoning is near impossible but may be a length of that 1/4" nylon water cooling tubing would be weaseled in there to remove a few gallons.

The risk of fire on a Viper with ony 18k miles on it is not one that I’d feel comfortable assuming.

I once saw a Viper engulfed in flames on the side of the freeway . . .

My advice is to have the car towed to the shop at the earliest opportunity

Have the car towed since it’s not worth the risk to drive it. A vehicle with a leaking gas tank is a rolling bomb just waiting to go off.

Sounds like it may be a leaking fuel pump module gasket according to this guy who says he is a trained Viper tech:

Have it towed, of course. Not worth saving $100 to risk your car and your life.

@‌jesmed

Sounds like you and I are on the same wave length

fuel pump module gasket = fuel tank sender seal

Nice link, by the way

@db4690, thanks, I’m no expert, but it’s amazing what you can find on the Internet. :wink:

Hey all, thanks for the insight… as it were turns our everyone was wrong (play depressing music from the show). The thank was over full because the fuel sending unit had failed, the leaking was dripping from multiple locations but all originating from the vapor escape valve thingy. I unfortunately have not been able to find a replacement sending unit so now im winging it until i find one. I have ordered from like 20 websites all saying they have it, take my money, then eventually refund saying oh no we dont have it sorry… annoying.

When you fill the tank, do you keep topping it off after the pump stops? If so you will ruin your evap system.

no, i let it run till i thought i had enough gas and stopped. when i pulled the pump out i noticed it bubbled at the top a little like my lawn mower does when its borderline overfull. it was the first time i had put gas in it. the second time it popped off earlier and did not overfill.

The thank was over full because the fuel sending unit had failed, the leaking was dripping from multiple locations but all originating from the vapor escape valve thingy.

Sorry but the sending unit can not and will not stop the tank from getting over-filled! Only the person pumping the fuel can do that.

i let it run till i thought i had enough gas and stopped.

Hmmm gauge says 1/2 tank, manual says tank holds 19.3 gal. so come hell or high water I’m putting 9.65gals. That should be right. (all numbers made up for illustration purposes). Because after all we all know that fuel gauges are perfectly accurate and listed capacities are all ways correct. LOL

I also don’t understand the logic . . .

Even if the sending unit had failed, you just stop pumping when the nozzle clicks off, and all is well

Now we’re all confused. Where exactly is the “vapor escape valve thingy” that is leaking?

I’m not confused, he/she kept filling till the fuel was visibly bubbling at the top of the filler neck.