Gas spill 2207 Jeep Liberty

I stop to put gas in the car, put the hose in and set the “latch” so I don’t have to hold the hose (which I have done for years) What has started to happen is the hose does not shut off and gas spills out. I have tried holding the hose with the latch in place, and then readjusting the height/level that the hose is at, it still spills over… since this is something new, does anyone have any idea of what is going on !!! I am getting frustrated…Thanks :slight_smile:

oops I mean 2007 Liberty :slight_smile:

Have you been in the habit of topping off the tank when you fuel up? If so you could not be seeing the result of doing that. It sounds like the vent system may be damaged. I’ll bet that somewhere in the owner’s manual or on a sticker it tells you not to top off the tank.

If you don’t top it off, or if you just don’t want to pay the cost of fixing the problem topping off did and want to try something else, look for a blocked vent line. On many cars there is a marble sized ball that you may see looking down the filter. It can get stuck there and you may need to push it down so I is no longer blocking the vent.

Good Luck.

No, I don’t top off the tank… Thanks for your advice.