Gas Overflow on my 2005 Jeep Liberty

I have had a problem filling up my 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport. On the newer pumps that seal on to the tank, I’ll have a serious overflow when it’s full and prior to shut-off. Even if I pull the pump out it will still back-up and spew out. I’ve found one other site where a Liberty owner was experiencing this, but cannot believe it’s isolated to just my vehicle. Does anyone have thoughts to the cause of this overflow issue? Thanks.

The tank vent system may be out. If you have been in the habit of topping off the tank after the pump shuts off itself the first time, you may be the cause of the problem. It is also possible that mechanical damage may cause a vent to fail.

I’ve not topped off at all so I’ll look into the tank vent system. Thanks.

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty and just within the last month I’ve been having the same issue. It doesn’t happen every time, but it happens often enough. And to confirm it’s not from topping off. The pump will automatically shut off, you hear the click then before I can even get to the handle it starts to overflow. And it’s a lot of gas. I contacted Jeep online and they referred me to the dealer. I have since looked it up online and I saw a couple of other people running into this issue. Good luck and let me know what you find out, Thanks.