Gas pump dilemma

I have a 2006 Audi A3 with 98 thousand city miles on it. Last week, I started having problems getting it to start after filling it. I do not overfill. I use 93 octane. In between fillings, I have no start up problems.

Are you getting any CEL’s? (Check Engine Light)

You might try a new fuel cap. It may not help, but they are not all that expensive.

It is also possible that the vent valve (a check valve) is sticking. I don’t know your car, but on many cars you can see it "a metal ball down the fuel filler that should move freely but may be sticking and not functioning properly.

Do you mean that it is hard to start when you get through filling and are trying to leave the gas station and the rest of the time it is OK?

Yes. That is what I mean.

Do you have trouble starting any other time where you just shut down for a couple of minutes? If the only time you shut down for only a couple of minutes is when you get gas, then the problem may not be related to getting the gas.

You may have a bad vent valve in the gas tank. Its supposed to let only gasoline vapors enter the evaporative emissions system. If it lets liquid gasoline in then its possible that the evap system is flooding the engine when you try to start it. The next time this happens hold the gas pedal to the floor while you turn the key (flood clear) and see if that makes a difference.

I only have this problem the first time I start up after getting gas , otherwise, I can shut down for a few minutes and start up without any problem.

I will try holding the gas pedal to the floor next time. Thanks.

I don’t know if it makes a difference that my car is a stick shift. I should have said that earlier.

Also, I am not getting other CELs