Fuel System issue?

I have a 2009 Hyundai Accent. In the past 2 weeks, immediately after pumping gas into my car, when I start my car, its difficult to start my car and keep it running. For at least 3-4 minutes after putting gas into my tank, I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep my car running. Sometimes, it will shut off. Then, after a few minutes, all is good and I can drive the car without an issue. Can anyone tell me what’s going on?

No Check Engine light on?

Tester

Do you top off? Does it do this if you only give it a partial fill-up? You might be saturating the charcoal canister, which would explain why it misbehaves just after fill-up.

Causes fro this problem are: always trying to squeeze in the very last cent (after pump “clicks” off), and an obstruction of sorts in the filler neck shunting gas into the vapor system.

If the check engine light is on, I’ll assume it’s been on for quite some time

Thank you so much for asking some questions and providing info. Yes, my engine light came on, however, the first time my car did this, it stayed on for about 20 minutes. The next time, it stayed on for about a day. This last time, it didn’t come on. Usually, I put gas in my car when its less than a fourth of a tank and I don’t always fill the tank completely. When I do fill the tank, I’ll refrain from squeezing in gas after the pump clicks. Also, I’ll try to put in a little gas when my tank is half empty, to see if there’s a difference.

The problem might be caused by a defective purge valve in the EVAP system.

When filling the tank, what’s supposed to happen is the gas vapors are collected in the carbon canister. Then when the time is right, the computer will open the purge valve so these vapors are drawn into the engine to be burned.

If the purge valve is stuck open, these gas vapors are forced into the engine while filling the tank. And this causes a flooded condition making it difficult to get the engine started and keep running until the flooded condition is cleared.

What needs to be done is, have a scanner hooked up to the vehicle that can read history codes to see if there’s a code related to the EVAP system. Especially a purge valve code.

Tester