2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X Gas overlows

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and when I am at the gas pump filling up I lock the pump handle so I don’t have to hold it. The pump is supposed to automatically shut off when the gas starts to flow back into the nozzle. With my Jeep that doesn’t happen, it overflows all over the Jeep and the ground. It doesn’t matter which gas station I’m at or the type of pump nozzle. I had a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon before that and it started happening to that Jeep as well. I know how to pump gas LOL It doesn’t happen when I fill up my wife’s car. I asked my mechanic to take a look, not sure what they did or didn’t do to check it out. When I went back they said the only way they could tell would be to take the tank out. Which would be expensive because of the skid plate, etc. Any ideas what is causing this issue to happen? I really thought when I got my 2007 Unlimited I wouldn’t have the issue anymore. I thought it was something specific to my old Jeep. Still happening…HELP!

I usually fix this problem (very common these days as filler necks have shrunk in size but gas pump nozzles are basically the same since the 1950’s) by pulling the nozzle out about half way. It’s never failed for me.

Not uncommon:

There are two bulletins/lifetime warranty extensions that cover this problem. Visit a dealer, they will verify which bulletin applies to your vehicle.