Gas/Oil Prices Update

Same thing in Georgia glad some one figured it out. :grinning:

1 Like

For the 40 years before Covid I only rode on dirt trails b/c of the safety issue. Post-Covid, mostly on neighborhood roads. But even staying to neighborhood roads is still very dangerous compared to the dirt trails. Several near misses. Some segments so dangerous I just get off & push my bike.

A few months ago another biker asked if I wanted to offer any advice to the local bike-safety group, based on my post-Covid neighborhood bike-ride experiences. I said “Your group’s attempt to make the town’s major commercial street bike friendly is a fool’s errand and should be abandoned!” Apparently he wasn’t much interested in my comment, presuming the businesses who fund the improvement (and the group) want more bike traffic going past their stores.

1 Like

If you don’t know the answer, don’t ask the question.

1 Like

Out in the county, riding an ATV on the roads is illegal. It’s also illegal on highways, of course. And it should be. However, I believe I’d feel safer on an ATV (or dirt bike) that can keep up with traffic on the county roads than I would a bicycle (which of course is legal). So, legal doesn’t always equate to safe.

It’s also pretty common to hear of a tragic ATV vs car or truck accident every so often. So I think, what’s the difference between that and a bike, other than the fact that the bike is legal…and slower? :grin:

I’ve ridden my bike “the back way” into town on the county roads a few times (6 miles or so one direction). Just didn’t feel safe with someone blasting by at 45-50 mph and always feeling like I should be looking over my shoulder when I hear an approaching car. I guess I’d get rear view mirrors if I intended to do it more. But, no thanks. We are lucky to have a “rails to trails” trailhead in town. People come from other states to ride it.

Fortunately I live in a medium size city (Wash DC) where I can stay on 25 mph streets and a growing number of bike dedicated lanes.
Of course there are drivers who get aggressive at the very sight of a bike, but I have enough reserve thrust at my fingertips to get out of their way as best I can.

1 Like

I think DC traffic is slower than many other cities because the roads are laid out unusually. Most cities have roads in a grid pattern, but DC also has the state named roads that generally radiate from the Capitol in all directions. Add the circles, and it’s hard to build up much speed before road patterns get in the way.

2 Likes

I think lots of Capitol cities followed the same street design back then.

It to change the subject but I paid $6.09 tonight for lawn mower gas. Premium, non oxy. Regular steady at $4,74.

We pay about $4.99 for regular E10. The difference might be taxes, ours are on the high side.

In the absence of a ban on exporting oil, oil companies will sell to whomever-foreign or domestic- meets their price.

Post Deleted…

hmmm … I seem to recall some pretty high gasoline prices during some GOP presidencies.

3 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

Apparently some people were offended by certain posts of mine. They’re all gone.

Constitutional freedom of speech was meant with decency. Criticizing a party or its policy was expected. Personal insults were another matter. Some early American leaders had deadly duels over honor.

I do not believe political censorship is healthy. But since political criticism seems off limits here, I will avoid threads that invite it.

1 Like

High oil prices are necessary to prop up the value of the USD. We had record low oil prices and record high inflation. Now they’ve raised oil prices to keep inflation under control. It is an expected correction based on how low oil prices were 2 years ago. Reducing production in the US further restricts the global supply and helps keep oil prices high.

No we did not… Oil price Jan 2020 was $37 a barrel and inflation was 2.5% (CPI) Oil was $95 a barrel before the invasion of Ukraine and inflation was 7.5%. Oil gained 2.6X in that time while inflation rose 3X in the same period. Oil price is a forward-looking number and inflation is a backward-looking number. So clearly we did not have low oil prices with high inflation.

Who is this mysterious “they”? The oil companies? OPEC? The government? Raising oil prices indirectly affects the price of gas at the pump which raises inflation.

Gas prices have jumped 1.5X Jan 2020 to Jan 2022 (pre-Ukraine) less than the rise in oil prices and less than inflation over that period.

4 Likes

What many people fail to understand is that the government is Constitutionally barred from restricting your Freedom of Speech. However, private entities–such as this website–can impose whatever speech strictures they wish without actually depriving anyone of their Constitutional Rights.

The TOS of this site–and probably most others–usually state that they can censor statements that are considered to be offensive, and that is perfectly legal.

10 Likes

And I’ll add necessary. The quickest way for a supposed car-based discussion to spiral into a useless waste of time is to introduce politics. There are plenty of places to put forth one’s political convictions. This just isn’t one of them.

9 Likes

This could not be more wrong. Raising oil prices will be a huge driver to increase inflation. Energy cost is present in just about everything. Increase those costs and inflation has to follow.

3 Likes