Fuse blows when windshield wiper & turn signal are on at the same time

Sound like a great idea! Thanks!!

Unplug the wiper motor, turn on the wiper switch and move the turn signal lever up and down to see if the fuse blows.

The wiper switch on the old cars are separate from the turn signal switch and stalk. If there is a short in the wiper circuit, it is only related to the turn signal because you are moving the lever.

1 Like

Pull the wire on the motor to see. I canā€™t imagine thatā€™s the problem. I guess someone with a multi meter can check the draw. Reminds me of the cat chasing the laser light.

1 Like

I had our 61 merc out for a drive and when I turned on the signal light all four lights flashed. I took it to two shops and they gave up after pulling the steering wheel off. At home I crawled under and discovered the wires above the resonator had melted. Then remembered I had hit a rock or something and it punched a hole in the resonator. Fixed it myself.

Had the same thing 20 years later with my Buick wagon. The fuse would only blow after a short drive. Found wires laying on the exhaust that would fuse when the tail pipe would heat up. Fixed it myself.

1 Like

Similar melted-wire short circuit on relativeā€™s old Nash, symptom was various lights would flash on and off every 10 seconds. Started one day after car was parked after long trip.

Yes, he shouldnā€™t be working on your car!

3 Likes

This reminds me of the Plymouth problem, Chrysler conundrum or Dodge dilemma. Turn the wheel with signal on and get flash, honk, flash, honk. I could have called it the Satellite short.

Put an ampmeter in the circuitā€¦at Battery will doā€¦chack current drawn when both together. Make sure someone has not inadvertently put-in a faulty fuse batch and left some in the car for you. Number one is to check current and then to check just one of the itemsā€¦how much of the total is IT taking. Anther chap suggsted a larger fuse might have been installed to overcome a current problemā€¦good suggestion which current testing will find. Donā€™t turn on anything else when testing the culpritsā€¦donā€™t confuse the issue howeverā€¦if you have a tow-bar outlet it is very common for shorts to happen inside the trailer wiring,(at car and/or at trailer itself) plugs and sockets.