Fuel saving device

Does the product called “Fuel Doctor” work? Is there any potential damage to the car from using it? Is it worth buying?

If it worked, wouldn’t car makers include it as standard equipment, since they’re always trying to tell you their cars get good mileage?

This specific example of snake oil has some blinky lights and a few diodes on it, and that’s it. The diodes are pitched to “smooth out” the electrical current so the ECU can run more efficiently. In the first place, the only current you can “Smooth out” via the cigarette lighter is current that goes to ground, not the ECU. In the second, “smooth” power probably refers to altering the sine wave from a square wave to a true sine. Unless you’re talking about a very high end audio circuit, that matters not a whit, especially in DC vehicle applications, and especially since digital logic devices like an ECU use square waves by design in the first place.

Nancy; pure BS! No different from some political campaign slogans promising lower taxes with higher wages and benefits.

The only damage will be to your wallet and to your feeling of self-worth when you realize–belatedly–that you fell for a scam.

Instead of giving your hard-earned money to the charlatans who are selling this fraudulent device, save your money and use it to maintain your car properly.

Excellent maintenance, coupled with the correct driving style, will yield the best mileage that your car is capable of achieving.

scam…here is the latest…http://www.norwichbulletin.com/newsnow/x535936805/State-attorney-general-warns-of-fuel-scam

works just as good as blinker fluid

Just when you think that you’ve heard everything along comes another scam and this one is absolutely beyond ludicrous. Cleans and conditions the electrical power, huh?

Yet another here today, gone tomorrow boiler room operation.

Gentle accelerations.
Travel at lower speeds.
Try not to increase speed going up a hill, or do it gradually.
Anticipate stopping and coast.
Rid vehicle of all the weight possible.
Make as aerodynamically smooth as possible.
Hard tires produces less rolling resistance.
Turn off daytime running lights.
Use air conditioner as little as possible.
Drive on dry pavement.
Clean oil.
Clean air filter.

It’s good that you asked here. I would guess that most people do not and buy into these scams to keep them coming. I looked at their web site and have to wonder if the FD-47 model is an improvement over the FD-46 model or would it be the FC-47 model or possibly the ED-47 version? FE-47? Were models FD-1 through FD-46 not good enough? Just kidding.

I agree. In this day and age, other than good driving habits and the maintenance recommended by manual, there is little a consumer can do decrease fuel consumption with after market devices that will not interfere with the function of the car as designed by the manufacturer.
The only sure fire after market strategies that have been known to work are, driving less, use public trans. more and “shanks mare”.

I’d be willing to bet that device is basically nothing more than a 25 cent capacitor that dampens electrical fluctuations, which are only apparent on a meter and actually have have no noticeable affect on car performance at all.

They don’t show any credible testers at the company’s web site. A credible, unbiased tester could be the US EPA, US DOT, a state equivalent, or a major university. The don’t provide more than the first name of a few people you’ve never heard of. I’m skeptical.

100% scam. I can’t event think of a reason why it might work.

As with any “diet” plan, when you buy their product you also get a list of things to do differently.
If you just do those things on the list you find you don’t need thier product at all.

See Robert’s list above.