Fuel Pump

I have a 2000 V70/XC volovo with 95K miles. I began hearing a strange hollow noise, like a whistle blowing. I took it to the dealership where I bought the car and they said it was the fuel pump. I asked them if it was bad and needed to be replaced and the said they weren’t sure about having it replaced right away. They said sometimes it will make that noise and the fuel pump could last for months and sometimes for years. They even suggested to just drive it until it fails then replace it. some say it could never go out. But it bothers me becasuse it is the car that my wife drives daily taking kids around and running errands and so forth. i am always worried that she could get stuck somewhere anytime. So I am not sure what to do. please share advice or opinion

It will probably give you some hint that it is about to fail completely by running poorly or being difficult to start before it actually dies.

“It will probably give you some hint that it is about to fail completely by running poorly or being difficult to start before it actually dies.”

Maybe yes, maybe no.
I can tell you that when I had my POS Volvo, after ~ 60k miles, it could be running fine (or as well as a POS can be expected to run) one minute, and the fuel pump could be dead the next minute. I got very proficient at replacing the fuel pump in this car, as it could be counted on to die approximately every 12 months.

Did I mention that my Volvo was a true POS after it hit 60k miles, despite meticulous maintenance?

An eleven-year-old Volvo is always at risk of getting stuck somewhere.