Fuel Pump on Dodge Dakota?

Hello,

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota. When I turned in to my parking space without pressing on the gas and slightly turning without foot on gas the truck shut off.

Then today it would not start. I push on the gas pedal while starting and it did start.

Same thing happened when I pulled in and turned slightly without giving it pressing the gas pedal. Just idling and trying to turn slightly into my space the truck shut off.

I am figuring this is fuel related. and possibly the fuel pump? Any other areas to check? Is the fuel pump inside the gas tank?

3.9 L Magnum V6 75,000 miles 2000 Dodge Dakota

Over the past few months it would rev up but only go maybe 10-20 miles and hour and then kick in but I thought that might be a worn transmission. The problem with the starting and shutting off just started today.

The Idle Air Control valve may be dirty or defective.

This device allows the engine to idle anytime the accelerator is released.

Tester

1 Like

I’d say that you are just guessing at the problem. Diagnose the problem, don’t guess.

Yes, the fuel pump is in the tank. It is part of the level sensor and intake filter.

Start by turning the key ON but not to start. If you hear a hum try to crank it. Does it start? No? Not the fuel pump.

Do you hear a hum from the gas tank? No? Smack the bottom of the tank with your hand or a rubber mallet. Cycle the ignition OFF to ON again. Hum? If Yes, try to start it. Then change the pump. No? Find the fuel pump relay. Swap it with an identical one nearby. Cycle the ignition again. Hum? Yes, Replace relay. No? Now it is getting more likely to be the pump.

Do this, post back and we’ll try and help further.

How equipped are you to test and check electrical things? Scan the trucks computers, ect? If you aren’t equipped, time to call the tow truck and take it to a pro.

I agree with “Tester”. Had an almost identical problem with a 1999 Dodge Durango a few years back. Cleaned the IAC valve and problem solved. Takes less than an hour to take it off, clean it, and put it back on. Best part… it does not cost anything other than a can of brake cleaner and an old tooth brush.

Hello,

I am just reporting back to say thank you and my issue was fixed. It was the IAC valve. It was fairly easy to access. I cleaned it with a toothbrush and brake cleaner. It is running fine now.

1 Like

Good to hear good new’s.