Fuel filter with missing quick-release tabs

I have a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire. I’ve had the current fuel filter in well over a year and a half… maybe more than the recommended 15,000 miles (I don’t drive much). Anyway, I’ve decided to change it and this is the first time that I’ve attempted to do it myself.

The problem is that when I tried to get the filter out, I noticed that there were no quick-release tabs where they’re supposed to be. All I see are the black plastic pieces connected to the fuel line.

Is it possible that the tabs broke off, slipped in under the black plastic piece, or that the mechanic who changed it last screwed up the job?

What do I do at this point? Is there a relatively easy way to get the filter off?

I had a similar problem. I simply cut off the hose with a knife, put on a new hose, and secured everything with standard clamps. The quick-release feature may be handy for some folk but it is not essential to the job of replacing hoses.

Oh I HATE those quick release tabs…I usually replace them with standard hose clamps.