Frozen doors

Recently relocated from Southern California to Central Indiana. Brought with me a 1992 Lexus LS400 in excellent condition and low milage. Problem is; when temps go down to single digits, doors freeze shut and it’s a big problem opening. Question… is there something I can apply to the doors or seals to help prevent this problem. I believe this is the first freezing temps this vehicle has been exposed to.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I live in Minnesota.

And when the door seals start freezing, grab some PAM cooking spray, apply it to a paper towel/rag and rub it along the door seals

Tester.

I’ve always had great success with silicone lube. I spray it into my door locks as well as wiping it onto the neoprene door seals.

I used Tester’s PAM method in Colorado’s winters with pretty good results.

I park in a garage and don’t go out much but if I did I would use spray wax on the seals until it proved that it doesn’t work.

I use a silicone spray on a rag to wipe the door and trunk seals, also use it to spray the insides of both snowblowers and both sides of the snow shovels.

I also use silicone lube.
For the door seals, I spray it onto a rag and wipe the seals down with the rag.
For the locks, I use a thistle tube.

In case your passengers rub up against the door seals, silicone is much less likely to stain their clothing than Pam would be.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. I’ve stayed away from silicone ever since the owner’s manual of one of my wife’s past cars specifically said not to apply silicone to the rubber seals, although I’m not sure why that was the case.

Yeah I use silicone spray too, or you can go to the dealer and get their product just for lubing door and trunk gaskets. Probably $20 or more if it has a Lexus stamp on it.

My doors lock mechanism sticks when cold. How do u fix that?

Spray silicone lube in the keyhole.

Do not spray any kind of liquid into the keyhole when it gets cold, as it can freeze and cause the lock to jamb.

You want to use a graphite lubricant in the locks when it gets cold.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Graphite-Lock-Lubricant-HDX-GLL/204387986

Tester

@Cavell I think if it was mine I would try some graphite, when warm enough to work and exercise mechanism. Might not be the keylock. A key inserted then heat from a blowdryer applied to the key can get it working if it is the lock. Caution of course not to use high heat that might damage but patience.

I had forgotten to prep my mothers car for the cold Wisconsin winters and had to go over yesterday and thaw everything out.

For the door seals I use Johnsons paste wax. You can find it in most hardware stores.
I use a clean rag to apply it to the seals and any painted surfaces that the seals come in contact with. It is best applied when the weather is above freezing so it goes on better.
The thin coating will last the winter, and it does not stain your clothes if you happen to rub against it.

For freezing locks and mechanisms, I use graphite powder, but I also have had to use a torpedo heater to warm the entire door. Sometimes the drain holes in the bottom of the doors get plugged up with dirt and moisture collects inside the door.

Be careful that you do not burn the paint doing this. I keep touching the area where the heat is blowing onto the door to be sure the paint is not getting too hot. You are better off starting farther away and move the heater closer ten minutes later if it is not warming the door enough.

Also, after an ice storm, I may warm up my vehicle and let it idle with the heat on high for 30 minutes. This helps let the heat penetrate everything to dry things out.

Yosemite

I don’t use a key. I use the remote. Pushing unlock does not work on driver door. I have to open back door and pull up on plunger while I hit unlock. Than mechanism will work.

Yeah or that graphite stuff in the lock. You aren’t supposed to but I’ve sprayed WD40 in there to loosen the tumblers. I understand its not a lube but seems to work.

If she knows an ice storm is on it’s way, My wife will put a little piece of duck tape over the locks…just pressed on lightly.

Damn if it doesn’t work.

Yosemite

@Cavell, our Cobalt trunk mechanism misfunctioned like yours seems to. I sprayed silicone lube on the outside of the mechanism and then cycled the lock. It took about three sprays and lock/unlock cycles to get it working reliably again. I did that over a year ago and it is still working fine.

I spray all weather strips with silicon. Door side and body side.

ALSO, apply car wax the metal body sides where the rubber weather strips meet.

If you don’t want to use paste or liquid wax at least use a spray wax like Lucas Quick Mist.

The wax is a good idea. I never thought about it, but it should help repel water.