Front brake rotors and pads

When applying the brakes on this car it is starting to pulse, not pulling in either direction. As a DIY project I was planning on having the rotors resurfaced and putting new pads on, several friends and shops have advised not to have the rotors resurfaced but install new rotors. Now I priced them at the dealership, they want $114 ea. Auto stores AA & AZ want $40 ea. Is there any difference in performance and safety. What do you recommend? The model is a Durango 4X4, It would not open to models when I clicked on the window !

I’ve priced new rotors for this vehicle, the dealership want’s $114 ea and Auto stores AA & AZ want $40 ea, is there any difference in performance and safety. What would you recommend?

The aftermarket rotors will work just fine. Several things that should be done in case you’re not aware are:
Clean and lubricate the caliper slides.
Thoroughly clean the new rotors with Brake Kleen or carburetor cleaner and wipe dry. This will remove any rust preventative film.

It would be a good idea to check suspension components and wheel bearings as any looseness n any of these parts can mimic a brake problem.

I wouldn’t pay the dealer’s prices, nor would I use the “bottom rack” rotors from and auto parts store. The cheap (used to be only inexpensive, now cheap) rotors are not very tolerant and get out of whack pretty easily.

I now just buy the middle grade rotor - whatever is one step up from the bottom rack - from a know company (e.g. Raybestos, Bendix)

I go along with the good advice already offered. And I’ll bet it would cost you almost as much to have the rotors turned as to buy aftermarket replacements…and the turned rotors will be more prone to warping. They’ve already apparently warped once, and removing material just makes them weaker.

One more time, Find a safe place to do a hard braking from around 70 mph, Do not lock the brakes and do not come to a complete stop. Go as hard on the brakes as you can without lock up and release at around 10 mph. One or two of these should clear up the problem for awhile. It will come back but repeat the above procedure.

if you replace the brakes, the pulsing will come back also. I’m told it has to do with some of the compounds used in modern pads but I don’t know for sure, but the above technique always works for me, and its cheaper than new brakes and rotors.

As for rotors, do use quality rotors from a major manufacturer, like Bendix, Raybestoes or Wagner. The cost a little more than the bottom line house brands but not nearly as expensive as the dealer. Go to Rockauto.com for a reasonable price on these.