Fresh Manure

I need suggestions.

My mother took her '03 Buick sedan to her country church and on the way home a local farmer moved his manure spreader from only field to another…leaving it in “spread” mode while doing so on 1/8 mile of road. Well, you guessed it, she came upon this at 60mph and spread the BS across the bottom of her car. This wasn’t that dry cowpie stuff, but that heavy industrial strength runny and ripe grade of manure.

So it went through numerous car washes, detailing and inspections on the lift, but on a hot summer day, you still smell it. Inside air filters have been changed, but a slight waft of barnyard pervades the environment, although much less than originally. A car deodorizer helps a bit. Any other thoughts?

Thats just the smell of country living. Move to the city we have special odors.Really if it isnt on the car its on the fields,I got used to it

Smells like heaven to me.

I’ve got those deep rubber floormats in my truck, and there’s plenty right there in the cab. You get used to it after a while.

Skipper

I rinse the underside of my car with a reciprocating lawn sprinkler attached to the end of a garden hose. I move it all around the car. I do this in the winter and spring to remove salt, but it might do a decent job
on your sticky problem.

How about a power washer (with a strong detergent solution), aimed at the underside of the car?

No, it would take the undercoating off the metal leading to rust problems.

Skip

I know a guy that got in trouble once for washing out a stock trailer. He backed it down a boat ramp and just sort of swished it out in the lake.

Skipper

I can just picture this…

What I hated when I was driving trucks was the guys who would want to wash out their bull-racks at the fuel pumps…
Or the ones that would park next to me for the night…I mean, I know those guys gotta sleep too, but DANG if I couldn’t open my vents on my sleeper and not idle the truck for a night. And it always happened that they would pull in next to me after I’d been asleep for a while…

Washing will help but it cannot mimic the dispersion @ 60mph. The “fluid” has been driven into the many nooks and crannies of the body and undercarriage. The answer is TIME and driving through as many rainstorms as possible to flush it out. It will diminish over time and will be most noticeable when damp and humid…

This reminds me of a telephone call I received from my son when he was in college. He had our old car and after driving about half a mile, the car bucked to a stop. He had the motor club tow it back to campus. The tow truck driver thought the fuel pump had gone out. (this was a carburetor equipped engine with the fuel pump on the engine). Knowing my son, I suggested that he had probably frozen the fuel line by running the car without a lot of gasoline in the tank. I recommended that he buy a bottle of gasline antifreeze, pour it in the tank and let it sit for a couple of days. Two days later, he called me and said that my suggestion did the trick. However, one of his classmates had the same problem and didn’t want to spend 79 cents on gasline antifreeze. This friend worked at the horsebarn and wanted to throw fresh manure under his gas tank. He thought the heat from the manure would thaw the ice. My son told him that he thought 79 cents for gasline antifreeze was better than always smelling manure in the car.

You might find a detail shop or garage that would put the car on a lift and spray the undercarriage really well.