CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Flashing 4x4 warning light on dashboard

What causes the 4x4 and 2x2 warning lights on the dashboard to flash on and off then stop then flash again

I am going to guess that this is an indication of a fault in either the AWD mechanism or in the transmission. And, continuing to drive the vehicle like this will only make your repair bill larger. You need to have a qualified mechanic examine the vehicle a.s.a.p.

I am guessing about what the blinking light means, simply because I don’t have an Owner’s Manual for your vehicle. However, if you look in your Owner’s Manual, I can guarantee that there will be an explanation for this warning light. More than likely, it will tell you something similar to my best guess.

Thank you for your response. I am taking it to a qualified mechanic asap. It happened one time before and the mechanic checked it and said something about a sensor problem. It hasn’t occurred for well over a year now. Maybe it know winter is on the way. The transmission shifts fine but the light keeps blinking on and off then stops for a while and does it again. Thanks again for your input. I’ll try and let you know what I find out at mechanic.
radne5