Fire under hood, 1995 Buick Park Avenue

The question is, now how did it get started — I already know, and it’s all my fault ---- but, is there hope to rebuild, repair, reconstruct it?

The fire was caused by gas squirting out of the gas line. A small leak in the plastic tubing had been repaired, but I was supposed to secure it with a second hose clamp, and never did. DOH!!

We’re not quite willing to part with it yet, and I promised my 16 year-old son we wouldn’t get rid of it, whatever condition it’s in. I’m standing by that promise.

But, just out of curiousity, I’m wondering what the prognosis is here? I’m starting to look around for another car in any event, so it really doesn’t make much difference in the long run.

It’s mostly just an academic question.

The fire was completely contained by the firewall, and didn’t go into the passenger area at all. The car is in storage now, in an enclosed locker.

I’m also wondering if there are any organizations or clubs that deal with the Buick Park Avenue. Then, I’m hoping and wondering if there are any resources regarding fire-damaged vehicles.

That first sentence was supposed to say, “The question is not how did it get started . . .”

I wrote “now” instead of “not” so it is a little confusing there. Sorry LOL

I guess there may be a possibility at restoring the engine compartment, but it will be insanely expensive. Depending on how big and how long the fire burned, you may need to replace everything that’s plastic, rubber, or otherwise melted/burned, which would include wiring and the car’s computer, along with spark plug wires, fuel injectors and wiring, etc., etc. It all depends on how vicious the fire was, and how much it damaged and destroyed. I guess you need to ask yourself, how much is the car worth to you? Personally, I don’t think I’d try to repair it, but I’m not you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

There are going to be a lot of parts (wires, hoses gaskets etc.) to be replaced. Some are likely going to be difficult to locate and expensive if you can find them.

I would suggest that the most economical idea would be to locate another 95 Park Avenue that may have a blown engine and buy it as a donor car. Tow it to where yours is and start moving parts. That way you will not only have the parts there but you will see where they go. Do one part at a time and I would photograph each part before removing it.

Best of luck.

Thanks, that is a good answer. I like hearing from folks who know something about cars.

One thing I’m wondering is, how difficult is it going to be to even buy another Park Avenue? I bought this one for $500, because of some graffiti keyed into the hood.

As you know, Buick doesn’t even make the Park Avenue anymore.

Sorry, I forgot something else you brought up.

The fire didn’t burn too long. I was one block away from the State Capitol Building, and it was a Sunday afternoon. The fire department was on it, like, immediately. Not much flaming, really, either. Mostly smoke.

Hey, that is a very cool idea. Thanks.

Well, I just looked on Ontario’s AutoTrader, and found 31 Park Avenues ranging in price from $28000 for an 05, down to $1900 for an 93 (prices in Canadian $), so they are available.

Seeing as the fire wasn’t severe, I think you might have a chance at avoiding major damage, and you may be able to completely restore the engine compartment. Just check everything over with a fine toothed comb (and the help of a good mechanic) and find out what needs to be replaced, what should be replaced, and what can stay. See how much that would cost. Then compare that figure to the cost of a replacement vehicle.

But I do like Mr. Meehan’s idea of switching parts from a similar, but non-running, Park Avenue. Indeed, if you decide to restore the car, that’s the route I would recommend you go, simply because it’s cheaper. Also, look for Park Avenues (and even other Buicks) that may be different years or differently equipped, but have the same parts. I imagine, for example, that all Park Avenues had the same alternator, or spark plug wires.

I just purchased a 1999 Buick Park Avenue with nearly all the trimmings in very good condition from a local dealership here - just shy of 70,000 miles for $7500 on the road (after taxes, tags, etc). I probably ended up paying a little more than I had to and should have held out for 7000 on the road - but they are definitely out there.

Very nice car, another place I saw had a 2001 with much lower mileage for about 10000 - hadn’t negotiated, but it doesn’t look like Park Avenues are that hard to find.

Good luck.

I have posted here as “huntgoddess” and as “anonymous”. I think that’s because I didn’t log in when I was listed anonymously. But, they’re both me—or, however you say it.

There are a lot of good ideas and answers here. Unfortunately, though, I don’t have space to do the work myself. I have to depend on a shop.

I started another topic, regarding a “gateway” issue. My car doesn’t go into neutral, so the wheels won’t roll—for towing. I have never received any comments about that. I’ve also never heard of it, so I can’t even begin to think of what to do, or who to ask.

I realize now that I should have brought it up before, but I have a learning disability. This whole matter has been a little traumatic for me. It takes a while to get the 3D issues sorted out.

Thanks, and God bless.

My car doesn’t go into neutral, so the wheels won’t roll—for towing. I have never received any comments about that.

It is likely the cable or linkage that is preventing it from going into neutral.

Don’t worry about towing. If it needs to be towed, just let the service know the situation and they can come equipped to to take care of the problem. Make sure you tell than about access to the car, that is can they get the truck in to it at the front and back.

Joseph is mostly likely correct on this issue. The fire under the hood has probably destroyed the cable from the shifter to the transmision. When you call to have the vehicle towed simply explain the situation to the tow company. The tow truck driver will have the knowledge to disconnect the shift linkage and manually place the car in neutral.
~Michael